Just finished my first custom computer build (pics and specs)

So I'm completing my first custom build tomorrow when UPS delivers all my parts and I had just one question. Once I put everything together and press powerfor the first time, if something goes wrong (like a part is D.O.A), how do you know which is the problem? Do I have to take each individual piece out and testit in another machine? Because that'll suck. Hopefully I chose decent name brands. I got the AMD 620, Azza 850 watt power supply, Azza case, Biostarmotherboard, Samsung EcoGreen 1 TB Hd, and a LiteOn Multiwrite DL DVDRW drive, and 4gb corsair ram for around 4 bills after rebates and bing cashback.

Tigerdirect has a beast barebones kit they released the day after I ordered everything though, 399$ and comes with 8 gigs of ram. My nephew needs a computer,so I might cop him that assuming I have success with this build
eek.gif

You have any experience with the particular parts or brands I mentioned? How often do they arrive D.O.A? I heard Newegg is great about it and has good customerservice in such situations, but the whole get an rma, send it back, wait a few more weeks process is not something I'm looking forward to possibly havingto endure. Also, is Newegg usually good about paying rebates? Because I got over 100$ in rebates from this build.

I build my own PC when I was 14, And ever since I kept updating it, Still have it till this day, I had no problems yet with any parts "Dead onarrival" Make sure you know what you are doing when putting the parts together.

Can you give me a list of everything you bought (The link of the product for the website you bought them from)?

You'll know through error codes, or how the computer responds. If it doesnt power at all, then you know it's either the power supply, the case or themotherboard.

If it starts and beeps anything more than one simple beep, then you gotta look up the beep code, etc.

Just post here if it doesnt work right and we'll check it out.

Yea, got everything from NewEgg because of the rebates and cashback, plus they have great customer service reviews. This is my build though, had a budget ofabout 500$ and wanted it to be relatively future proof. I don't game btw, but by most accounts, with this build I could.

From Newegg1

BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - RetailItem #: N82E16813138146
Standard Return Policy

$99.99

AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - RetailItem #: N82E16817517003
Standard Return Policy

$99.99

AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case - RetailItem #: N82E16811517004
Standard Return Policy

$109.99

Rosewill 2.5" & 3.5" SATA to USB2.0 Hard Drive Docking - Gift - RetailItem #: N82E16800999175
Standard Return Policy

$39.99

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare DriveItem #: N82E16822152173
Standard Return Policy

$79.99

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - RetailItem #: N82E16819103706
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$99.00Qty
Product Description
Price

DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #273426

-$35.00

DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #274519

-$40.00

DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #272964

-$39.99Total was 413$, 432$ shipped and actually I have 90$ in rebates from this order plus 2% cashback which is about 8.60 making it approximately 315$ afterall is said and done.
Ram I got from www.frys.com/5611731 It's Corsair DDR2 4gb (2gbx2) for 59.99 and has a 20$ rebate so 355$ for the build.I already had the multiwrite DVDdrive.

u should'nt have a problem my dude, as long as all the parts are compatible, building a computer is actually quite easy, people make it seem otherwise

I would like an update when you get all of the parts in and put it together. I'm looking to build a custom desktop unit myself. I may not go with a TBhard-drive though that is a lot. are you sure the motherboard will run that monster?

Originally Posted by smoke ya later

I would like an update when you get all of the parts in and put it together. I'm looking to build a custom desktop unit myself. I may not go with a TB hard-drive though that is a lot. are you sure the motherboard will run that monster?
I got an 850 watt psu so it should. Most people are building beastlier systems than mine and get like a 500watt. Plus it's the EcoGreen, issupposed to use less power anyways. I'm running on 512mb right now, so this computer is going to be so fast to me. My netbook has 2g of ram, but an Atomprocessor so it's still not very fast.

One last question, on m first boot, I have to have the XP cd in and push f12 like I do when I'm fresh installing or putting an image of a Ghost disc??
I really want to build my own unit, but I'm scared to mess up.
Any sites to check out with toutorials and such?
Thanks

Just buy a kit, everything you already need put together. You can even get them pretested and assembled, although that would defeat your purpose. They got themon ebay too, and you can custom configure it and it changes the price in real time for you then creates an auction for your system.
B69-0135-main-01-wc.jpg

Is 429$

http://www.tigerdirect.co...No=5343959&CatId=332

I need to find a fan compatible with my motherboard too
B69-0135-main-01-wc.jpg

I haven't build/touched hardware in a while but:

You'll know through error codes, or how the computer responds. If it doesnt power at all, then you know it's either the power supply, the case or the motherboard.

If it starts and beeps anything more than one simple beep, then you gotta look up the beep code, etc.

Just post here if it doesnt work right and we'll check it out.

Pretty much. If you want just check the motherboard manual or google "POST" codes for your particular motherboard/bios model.

If my PC doesn't boot I usually just reseat the RAM. If that doesn't work I reseat any expansion cards or cables. It really doesn't take that long.All else fails I take out everything that's unnecessary (sound card, video card, extra ROMs) and see if it works. Then once my OS is installed I add eachcomponent one by one. The only time I've ever had problems with Disc drives has been when a cable was frayed and it was touching the case. 90% of the timeI was in a rush and hadn't secured everything.
I got an 850 watt psu so it should. Most people are building beastlier systems than mine and get like a 500watt. Plus it's the EcoGreen, is supposed to use less power anyways

PSUs only use the power they require. So if you have a sstem that only eats 350 watts, it'll only consume that much. It's always good to have a bufferanyways

So this case is HUGE and has like a bagillion wires. I'm throwing my hand up and crying Uncle right now. I got the CPU and MOBO in, the PSU mounted, andthey can handle the rest of the wires for me. The fans onthe case alone (it has 4) are bigger than my other Dells.
laugh.gif

About how much do you think someone will charge? All I need really is for him to connectthe power button wires, usb ports built into the case, the sound, allthat stuff. I'll still put the HD in and install the OS, thats easy

its really not that hard. make sure you look at the diagram on the MOBO's manual.

also the mobo should be labeled with everything also.

You could have someone here explain that to you or a computer forum, the power buttons and what not. Its really not worth paying someone just to do that. Whatmade you choose that PSU?

Google "Build Your Own PC" and you'll have hundreds of guides with pictures. You've prob. done it already though.
laugh.gif

Just complete it on your own.

You're kidding right? Figuring out the wires is easy, the hardest part is getting the CPU secure.

The big cable on the PSU connects to the motherboard, the others are for the dvd-rom and the harddrive. Then connect the sata cable to the drives. Case powerbutton cable to the motherboard and you're done.

Look through your motherboard manual, why pay someone for a 2min job.

video tutorial:

I bought the power supply because it had tons of good reviews despite being a new brand plus the huge rebate and as they mentioned in the reviews, it has TONSof cables so you can connect anything, but then you actually see it and it's ridiculous. They're coming from everywhere, then even has a separate cablebox where more come from that you have to velcro to the PSU. And the mobo's instruction were written by someone who English isn't their first or secondlanguage. The pictures dont even correspond to the right model. I might finish it myself though, let me just see what kind of money they're talking bout

So I figured given that it's so close to what I do for a living, and I have too much pride as a man to accept defeat or inadequacy, that I'd give itanother look; knocked it out in a half hour. I can't find my DVD drive so I bought one, but I'm good to go now except for ram which is waiting for meon the porch. I'm trying to find some in the office because we have tons, but it's in the most difficult to open combination locker known to man.

Pictures forthcoming, have to figure out how to get them to the internet as Dashwire doesn't work

303b8gp.jpg

here it is on my desk
2zs4e39.jpg

here is a pic where you can see one of the 6 blue led fans, the window to the motherboard and the mass of wires that come out of the PSU

I already have a dual layer multiwrite dvd drive, but I lost it so I had to buy a new one at lunch bringing my total up by 40$ which hurt my feelings

Back
Top Bottom