Jim Valvano ESPY Speech Appreciation

Wow, I just got done watching the entire ESPY speech on ESPN and it really hit the spot. If that doesnt inspire you, man, I dont even know. It was instanttears for me after this..
"Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all."

Dude seemed to stay so strong and positive,
frown.gif

one of the most inspiring speeches i've ever heard. i still get chills every time i listen to it.

to quote myself from another thread

the Greatest speech of all time from a sports figure is on ESPN RIGHT NOW.

pimp.gif

Jimmy V: "ahh fanabla this guys telling me 15 seconds"
laugh.gif

tired.gif

Lol I made a post about this at the same time. Here's the speech for those who've never seen it (I don't know how you haven't).

Also say what you want about **** Vitale and his commentating

but that's a stand up guy for what he's done over the years

How much longer did Jimmy V live after that speech, I m tryin to remember but I believe he died shorty after, correct?

*edit, No doubt Allen, I cant stand Dickie V's commentating style but he has raised SOO much money and awareness for cancer research. For that he is myidol.

He died in April 1993, so very close to when he made that speech, too bad... March 4, 1993 is when he made the speech; He passed away on April 28.
frown.gif

He died less than two months after the speech. He wanted to present the award the next year too
tired.gif

frown.gif
almost as if He hung on just long enought to bless us with thatamazing speech,
just look at what that speech sparked, Incredible & miraculous

Still gives me the chills whenever I see it. And I don't care what people say about Dickie V. Dude is a stand up guy and I met him personally. Class act.

There is no way that speech can't touch you. Just kinda lets you know that whatever you go through there is alway light and the end of the tunnel.

It's a must-watch. I can't lie, I cry every time I watch it. My dad passed away from cancer a year and a half ago, so it kind of just hits me. I had aJimmy V Foundation bracelet I wore for probably 2 years until it broke and I still keep it in my night table drawer.

Still chokes me up every single time I hear/watch it..Absolutely amazing.

Damn, I've seriously got a couple hot tears rolling down my cheek right now. Speech is definitely appreciated, and so is Mr. Valvano.

Back
Top Bottom