Jay Electronica = Overrated

indifferent.gif

i agree...

its weird tho... he's only overrated because he has like 10 damn songs...

if he actually made music on a regular basis he wouldnt be overrated...

but for some old @%@%@ to just come wit a song or 2 every 6 months hell yea he overrated...

not to mention that @%@%@ been owin us a mixtape for a month now... %+@% that @%@%@

I don't know why I expected OP to provide an argument for his opinion after reading the thread title.
laugh.gif
@ Discussed like it already happened.

I mean he's overrated enough for Mos Def to claim there in a group together, overrated enough for Lupe to say he wants to do an album with, overrated enough for NaS to work with him.

His music speaks for itself. If you don't like it okay but exactly where is Jay Elec being talked about for him to even be rated? Dude still an unknown for the most part he just started getting some radio play. He's been respected in the game with already established artists and countless other big name mainstream acts have cosigned him.

He's not overrated. If anything you're just experiencing the after effects of this new influx of Jay Electronica fans.

His songs SOUND good...but i'm really not convinced hes that GOOD of a rapper...like his topics are kinda...how do I say cliche in the sense that while they're super conscious...they're not that profound or unique....it seems to be his delivery and production that get people in his corner...what he says kinda goes in one ear and out the other for me. I know there'sa meaning in those words like when i listen to Lupe/Nas/Hov (for example, don't crucify me) but i don't get that i'm missing something with him...

In other words...hes dope and I don't know why.

He A Very Creative and Real rapper Overrated I dont think so So. I think over time as more music slowly comes out he will be proven

I don't think he has been officially rated but he there is a big buzz that is growing around him. If people are really excited about someone, it is what it is. I, for one, am interested in his projects.

Guess I should provide an argument, made this post before class.

A) Flow is spotty at times

B) Not enough material to be heralded as the saviour of hip hop(which is a stupid term anyway)

C) He's cool and all, but I think he tries to hard to get that "Conscious" angle going

D) He hasn't really done anything, apperantly(according to blogs and such) his best song is Exhibit C....nah son not good enough

E) Overrated =/= not good as it would suggest, he's good no doubt, and the fact that he has the co-sign from some great MC's is a def plus, but that doesn't mean he's the champion on the mic.

I look for MC's not only with lyrical content(which he has in spades, albit somewhat cliche) but also an Mc that has the wordplay game down which he doesn't seem to. Don't post lines or such because "any line you can post, I can post better" from a different MC..Lupe For example, thats my standard, when I think word play I ask how he ranks with Lupe, not only with his metaphors, but how understandable they are( "just cuz you don't understand him, don't mean that he's nice)...

Discuss

Back
Top Bottom