"It sure looks as if Mike Nolan is on the way out as 49ers coach."

[h3]Coming to a conclusion after soaking in 49ers' loss in season finale[/h3]
The scene today after the game was eerily similar to what unfolded underneath Gillette Stadium after the final game of the 2004 season.

The look on owner John York's face.

His clipped answers.

His refusal to say any words in support of an employee who's on the hot seat.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]York[/font] [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]was[/font] asked the same questions three years ago about Dennis Erickson and Terry Donahue. York stopped to speak with reporters that day after the 49ers ended the season with a loss to the Patriots.

He did not stop today when I approached him as he walked in the corridor outside the 49ers' locker room.

I am not reporting this. I'm only writing this for my blog because I hope you all expect me to be upfront with my observations. So here it goes: It sure looks as if Mike Nolan is on the way out as 49ers coach.

If Nolan were coming back, this would have been the time for York to stop in his tracks and tell reporters the news. This wasn't a time for him to quicken his pace and try to get away from reporters.

For the first time this season, I believe Nolan will not be retained as head coach. And it's not just because of York's body language. I picked up on some serious vibes before the game that suggested the Yorks plan to fire Nolan in the coming days.

There have been few indications in recent weeks about which way the Yorks were leaning. Several weeks ago, co-owner Denise York told the San Francisco Chronicle she expected Nolan to return as coach but with reduced personnel powers. Multiple sources later told The Press Democrat that the Yorks were inclined to bring back Nolan as coach.

However, the Yorks can't be happy with the way Nolan handled the whole Alex Smith situation. That issue, probably more than any other, has caused the Yorks to reconsider whether Nolan can be an effective leader.

Some team sources believe the Smith-Nolan relationship is irreparably damaged. There is also the thought that Nolan has lost the locker room, though that one is more difficult to see. Certainly, no player was going to come out publicly and divulge that information. They have seen what happens to players who get on Nolan's bad side.

I think something could happen tomorrow. I'm not sure when Nolan and York are scheduled to meet, but Nolan's regularly scheduled press conference to discuss the season is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Tomorrow should be very interesting.

- Matt Maiocco
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=724674

Mike Nolan for defensive coordinator, Mike Martz for offensive coordinator, Marty for HC. Make it happen!
tongue.gif

Thank God for 9er fans. From what I was hearing this guy was just an idiot of a coach. I know that him and Alex Smith didnt see eye to eye on things, and thatNolan made it out that Alex wasnt even hurt when really it was a season ending injury.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Mike Nolan for defensive coordinator, Mike Martz for offensive coordinator, Marty for HC. Make it happen!
tongue.gif

That would be good

What about Singletary for Head Coach and Martz for OC. Our DC is fine...I wouldn't mind seeing Marty as the HC.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

What about Singletary for Head Coach and Martz for OC. Our DC is fine...I wouldn't mind seeing Marty as the HC.

no more rookie head coaches..

^I'm not one to support Alex Smith, but we can't judge him from this season given what transpired between him and Nolan and how his injury was handled.I'm willing to let him win the starting job again, if he beats out Shaun Hill (assuming he re-signs).

I hope Nolan getting fired means getting a respectable HC like Cowher or Marty. Cowher would be
pimp.gif
:wow:, if that happens that'd be sick. Wouldn't mindMartz as the OC either.

I'm kinda iffy toward Marty, Cowher, and even Mike Martz.

I'm hoping we can get Jason Garrett (Cowboys OC) or the Pats OC.

Originally Posted by EG47

After Nolan, I'm iffy on having a rookie head coach. Marty and Cowher would be great choices for us; if we can pull it off. Martz, I would like as OC,but for HC, I'd be iffy on that.

doesn't Martz need an accurate QB with a strong arm and 3-4 good receivers in his system?
ohwell.gif

Marty, Cowher would be great HC options no doubt. If the 9ers do decide to fire Nolan, the easiest way to gain back some credibility within the league is tohire a big name HC. If Marty or Cowher were hired, I wouldn't be disappointed.

However, I just feel that Jason Garrett and the Pats OC are two of the brightest offensive minds in the game right now and come from a solid head coachingtree. Given the opportunity they could end up being the next Sean Payton or even better. Also, 9er fans want offense. Kinda of how Pittsburg hangs its hat onDefense, its something that the fans expect from 9er teams. That has and should be the identity of every 9er team.

pimp.gif

Dude is a good evaluator of talent, well at least defensively...but as a coach dude is CLUELESS out there. Peace

HC- Bill Cowher
OC- Mike Martz
DC- ?

No more rookie coaches like someone already mentioned! The 9ers getting a coaching staff with great experience such as Cowher and Martz will definitely boostup their confidence!

Originally Posted by EG47

Ummm....why?

They canceled his news conference at 4:00 today. Looks like time is ticking very quickly for Nolan

Originally Posted by sf savage

They canceled his news conference at 4:00 today. Looks like time is ticking very quickly for Nolan

i was wondering what happened

Back
Top Bottom