Is Spielberg the greatest director of all time or nah?

The new West Side Story movie is getting rave reviews....man's filmography is next level.

I tend to like most of the movies he directs.

However, I’m critical of the fact that a large portion of his success can be partly attributed to the large amount of funding his films receive. As opposed to most other directors who have to direct a film with a fraction of the funds. If every director was able to spend $200mil on a film I’m sure they’d all be just as good.

In my extremely personal opinion Tarantino > Guy Ritchie(when he does “Guy Ritchie”). I like the more stylized stuff. Like Scorsese is a really nice steak dinner, with a perfectly cooked cut of beef and a baked potato with butter, sour cream a chives. Tarantino, on the other hand, is some loaded bulgogi fries. Both are good, but I’d be more excited about the bulgogi fries. They’re cheaper too.

No, he's not. Here's my top 5

1. Kubrick
2. Hitchcock
3. Scorsese
4. Kurosawa (Google him)
5. Tarantino & Spielberg
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.25.23 PM.png

Last edited:
I tend to like most of the movies he directs.

However, I’m critical of the fact that a large portion of his success can be partly attributed to the large amount of funding his films receive. As opposed to most other directors who have to direct a film with a fraction of the funds. If every director was able to spend $200mil on a film I’m sure they’d all be just as good.

agreed, however, I'd say his funding is based on precedence no? Generally, a studio is willing to dish out more bread to produce a film, if say, that given director has a history of turning a big *** profit. i.e. Christopher Nolan (exclude tenet).

this is also true if a franchise just seems to generate mad money, like fast and furious, tho, with this example, the movies haven't been good since...6 or 7. whichever one ended with the paul walker send off.

greatest of all time? hmm not sure.

It's a subjective question.

My personal favorites are the Coen Bros. and Fincher.

Wow, didn't expect Spielberg to be so low on yall lists.....yall didnt like Ready Player One, The Post, and Bridge of Spies? I feel Spielbergs most recent run of movies been better than Scorsese.

Wow, didn't expect Spielberg to be so low on yall lists.....yall didnt like Ready Player One, The Post, and Bridge of Spies? I feel Spielbergs most recent run of movies been better than Scorsese.
Ready player one wasn’t a good movie but man seeing that in imax was mind blowing spectacle

He is a pretty good director, but I have to give it to Spike Lee

i thought da 5 bloods kinda sucked.

miracle at st anna wasn't bad. war scenes were...not good. but I'm spoiled.

spike movies generally slap tho.

the greatest director is an objectively hard question IMO.

i think a question one also has to ask is what do you think makes a good movie? writing, direction, cinematography, etc...?? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom