Is it me or do they just not make Martial Arts Action flicks anymore?

Wesley is old now, we need a replacement. I`m not talking those Jason Straham action flicks that are all the same, but like real Martial Arts Rumble in the Bronx/ Rush Hour flicks. Is there not a market for this stuff anymore? Jackie Chan had the game on smash then he was like screw Hollywood.

was just talkin to my pops about this....

I did read an article somewhere though that 2015 is supposed to be a huge release in Kung Fu resergence. Apparently there's some new young guy out of Hong Kong that's been taking over for a minute....expect to see some dope s*** next summer

Only thing I've seen recently made was IP Man that had some martial arts type action. It's all about comic book heroes and villians now though.

All about the classics lucky

Fist of legend
Kid with the golden arm
7 grandmasters
Hells wind staff
Born invincible
Shaolin vs lama
Invincible armor
Ninja death

And any Gordon liu (lucy lius dad) movies

was just talkin to my pops about this....

I did read an article somewhere though that 2015 is supposed to be a huge release in Kung Fu resergence. Apparently there's some new young guy out of Hong Kong that's been taking over for a minute....expect to see some dope s*** next summer

from what I've seen there is a lack of charismatic Asian actors that can take over the flame that Jackie had, most of the dudes on these Netflix films can fight but lack charisma to really sell. I won't be surprised if they do a knock off Rush Hour type buddy flick and try to throw Kevin Hart in it, I`d go watch still though lol

All about the classics lucky

Fist of legend
Kid with the golden arm
7 grandmasters
Hells wind staff
Born invincible
Shaolin vs lama
Invincible armor
Ninja death

And any Gordon liu (lucy lius dad) movies

Like I like the idea of what they wanted to do with Man with the Iron Fist but it was poorly executed.

After Chan and Li the genre went ghost on the theatrical tip and the blaxploitation martial arts flicks been dead for a while. It's sad :smh: :frown:

Tony Jaa simply hasn't made as big an impact with his Protector of elephants movies.

The other stuff like Ip man seem to be straight to dvd. I haven't seen stuff like that anywhere but netflix.

Last edited:
There isnt a market in the US for martial arts films like it is overseas so its hard finding and hearing about quality ones
alot of the direct to dvd stuff have good fight scenes and choreography but generic storylines and sub par acting
Scott Adkins has put out some good material recently
Donnie Yen still killing the game in my eyes and is a star overseas but he dosnt have that draw out here in the States
The Protector 2 and The Raid 2 coming up if anything will be top notch on the action scenes

In 2000 there was a boom, now it's died because all the stars got old. They'll be a boom again at some point in time

Last edited:
In 2000 there was a boom, now it's died because all the stars got old. They'll be a boom again at some point in time

This.

All it's gonna take is a couple movies to pull in a ton of money and then everyone else will try to cash in on the trend.

First we need to wait for the zombie film epidemic to end though.

What's the ratio of good to bad zombie movies?

I think for every good zombie movie, there are 15-20 bad ones.

I been really starting to watch older Jet LI movies, what titles would y'all recommend.....My favorite right now is Twin Warriors

Did you just call Rush Hour a good MARTIAL ARTS film? :lol: At best it was a good comedy with ok fights scenes.

Im thinking you was talkin about real Kung-Fu flicks. The ones with insane martial arts choreography, and thick with mysterious and elaborately named kung fu styles,
unrealistically powerful attacks, and the same kick and punch sound effects used in ever other movies. The movies where the only thing that mattered was how powerful your Kung Fu was.
Movies like:
The Buddist Fist

Born Invincible

Invincible Armor

The Kid With the Golden Arms

Five Deadly Venoms

I wish these movies would make a resurgence with all the new filming technology, and special effects.

A few good recent ones.....

Ninja Assasins

The raid: redemption......sequel comes out this year the raid:
Bernadal

The man from nowhere

All within the last 3 years and have some of the most extreme intense fighting sequences.

Last edited:
Man Of Tai Chi

Keanu Reeves directorial debut, came out last year.

Thank me later....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom