Investment Banking

Hey fellas,

So I'm a junior in college now, and I really want to get into Investment Banking next year. I don't go to a very heavily recruited school, but Iwon't let that hold me back in getting a job in the field I desire. Anyways, it is real difficult to get a job in that industry, especially coming from astate school, so I've been networking like crazy through my school's alumni, my fraternity, and various organizations I have joined. I haven'tthought to check if any NikeTalkers are I-Bankers, however, and that would be a great connection for me to make because I'm probably on this site at leastan hour today. If any of you are I-Bankers or know of anybody who is one then please send me a PM, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you are a male and have under a 3.5 GPA you better have some sick connect. Just giving you a heads up.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

If you are a male and have under a 3.5 3.8 GPA you better have some sick connect. Just giving you a heads up.
with this economy? +!%+'s messed up, i can't even get an interview, so i'm taking a break and doing music. probably have a better shotat making it there too

and you dont wanna ibank, you want the salary, no one wants to work 90 hours a weak as a slave robot.

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

If you are a male and have under a 3.5 3.8 GPA you better have some sick connect. Just giving you a heads up.
with this economy? +!%+'s messed up, i can't even get an interview, so i'm taking a break and doing music. probably have a better shot at making it there too

and you dont wanna ibank, you want the salary, no one wants to work 90 hours a weak as a slave robot.

I heard otherwise from friends who work at Barclays ATM. They all tell me if you have a 3.6 then you will have a shot. As they are starting to hire at littledue to the current profits. Hell, my friend works with some kid who graduated the Univ of Florida and kid had a 2.9 and got a job. It's all about who youknow.

Goldman you need an insane GPA obviously.

You need to go to a school with a great reputation and your grades better be top notch if you want to get into i-banking in NYC or London.

Great idea. Those are the first dudes to lose their jobs when the economy goes bad. Plus when they have their jobs they generally work 100 hour weeks. Excellent choice.

laugh.gif
@ "networking" to get a real investment banking job. Yougotta go to Harvard or Wharton and get an MBA.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Great idea. Those are the first dudes to lose their jobs when the economy goes bad. Plus when they have their jobs they generally work 100 hour weeks. Excellent choice.

laugh.gif
@ "networking" to get a real investment banking job. You gotta go to Harvard or Wharton and get an MBA.
laugh.gif
Ouch.

with this economy? +!%+'s messed up, i can't even get an interview, so i'm taking a break and doing music. probably have a better shot at making it there too

I heard otherwise from friends who work at Barclays ATM. They all tell me if you have a 3.6 then you will have a shot. As they are starting to hire at little due to the current profits. Hell, my friend works with some kid who graduated the Univ of Florida and kid had a 2.9 and got a job. It's all about who you know.

Goldman you need an insane GPA obviously.
That's not enough, nowadays its about who knows you

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
@ "networking" to get a real investment banking job. You gotta go to Harvard or Wharton and get an MBA.
laugh.gif
Ouch.

Truth hurts hahaha.

McNoodlez said it best. No one WANTS to become an I-banker. They just want that I-bankers salary+bonus

laugh.gif
From what I hear, Biglaw hours aren't much better, plus firms are cutting ranks at an alarming rate. Do you still work corporate?

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

laugh.gif
From what I hear, Biglaw hours aren't much better, plus firms are cutting ranks at an alarming rate. Do you still work corporate?

They are not much better. However, even though biglaw has been cutting the last few months, your job is much more secore. I still do corporate but I'mGeneral Counsel now....no longer working at a firm.

laugh.gif
ummmmmm you get the job before your MBA. and most people use it as a springboard- 2 years and then onto greener pastures (i.e. ones without the120 hr weeks)

i-banking is still an excellent choice

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

laugh.gif
ummmmmm you get the job before your MBA. and most people use it as a springboard- 2 years and then onto greener pastures (i.e. ones without the 120 hr weeks)

i-banking is still an excellent choice
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I was going to post something like this earlier this morning when Isaw this thread, but figured it wasn't worth my time
laugh.gif
. Glad to seesomeone who actually KNOWS about the world of Finance speak on it. OP, good luck.. don't let these negative posts deter you.
smh.gif
[/color]

hmmm... well i've never gone to college and never worked in banking.
i'm sure you guys are gonna hate but eh...
i'm actually in a personal banker training program and have been doing
stuff for a few months now. working for wells fargo...
probably not the same thing,but im new to the industry.
but,i plan to do this for 2yrs and then be a licensed banker.
every 2 yrs or so,try to make that upward move,getting better in banking.

^ Yeah, despite it not being a "passion" I'm also considering this as an option, seeing as I do wish to acquire an MBA in finance. I knowit'll be a B, but gotta work hard in this economy that's for sure.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

^ Yeah, despite it not being a "passion" I'm also considering this as an option, seeing as I do wish to acquire an MBA in finance. I know it'll be a B, but gotta work hard in this economy that's for sure.
same here man...it's kinda hard to do much in the financial setting without your MBA.

i'm personally looking into the financial analyst job.

Originally Posted by ThaPeoplesChamp

hmmm... well i've never gone to college and never worked in banking.
i'm sure you guys are gonna hate but eh...
i'm actually in a personal banker training program and have been doing
stuff for a few months now. working for wells fargo...
probably not the same thing,but im new to the industry.
but,i plan to do this for 2yrs and then be a licensed banker.
every 2 yrs or so,try to make that upward move,getting better in banking.
not the same at all. retail banking is completely different from investment banking...

you sure you want to I-Bank?? This kid that graduated with me had a 3.8+ and works in Baltimore as one. His fb status a few wks ago "Punched in 76 this past week..." I dnt care wut they're paying those hours are insane.

im pretty sure my man Joe Camel wants to go this route.

PatentBoy23 i agree..............the way i live there is no way i could work like that.

Back
Top Bottom