"If I Was Black I'd Move To Atlanta and Live Like A King", Says Another New Yorker At Dive Bar

dopeness

Banned
So I was at a dive bar in the underbelly of Brooklyn a few weeks ago. My wife and I met some guy and he started up a deep conversation about getting out of New York if he could. We were talking about all the non-natives moving in and raising the rent prices for premiere neighborhoods close to Manhattan.

The guy was like "I wish I was black, I'd move to Atlanta and live like a king"

Is this true? I've only been to Atlanta in passing. Can you live like a king in ATL? 

Any transplants from NY or LA that can share these major city amenities that someone would give up by moving to Atlanta?

So I was at a dive bar in the underbelly of Brooklyn a few weeks ago. My wife and I met some guy and he started up a deep conversation about getting out of New York if he could. We were talking about all the non-natives moving in and raising the rent prices for premiere neighborhoods close to Manhattan.

Is this true? I've only been to Atlanta in passing. Can you live like a king in ATL? 

Any transplants from NY or LA that can share these major city amenities that someone would give up by moving to Atlanta?

I guess thats cool.

Dive bars where im at are pretty sketchy.

Full of trump supporters
People in New York City dive bars are pretty much an open book, and diverse. It's funny to see different types of people going through culture shock when they realize their small town superiority tactics don't apply here in the city. The mental breakdowns are priceless. 
laugh.gif

Crazy thing about New York is you could have a blast with a transplant who believes they're racist and Republican, or an accidental racist who's a Democrat. Truth is, people are people. You won't actually know until you peel back the layers and get to know them on an individual level.

I chop it up with a few people who believe they're racist or at the least a conservative who believes that they're racist. We have the most meaningful conversations ever.

Last edited:
Im curious to why he had to mention being black though. I live in Atlanta and think all races can thrive down here in comparison to NY seeing how the cost of living is considerably lower and the housing market is good.

Was the guy gay????
Maybe that's why

When I used to live in Florida I was told the same thing about ATL. The guy explained to me that more businesses down their are black owned and if I wanted to start a business or have a fair chance starting at a company that was the place to go.

The 10 largest black owned businesses reside out of Atlanta and make over a billion a year in revenue.

I've heard this for a few years now. Feels like ATL is like San Francisco during the 60s in the hippie era. It's like if you're Black and wanna get away and start from scratch ATL is place to do it, never mind a job or anything else. Which is why ATL is such a transient city.

Last edited:
1.) Damn b you stay posting new threads. :lol:

2.) I find it weird that yall from NY call each other "Transplants" and those who move into town are "Non-Natives". :stoneface:

Yes! I'm not sure why he pointed out being black as the only tipping point for moving to ATL but as a black man out here...this place is MAGIC!!!! It's ridiculous. Cost of living is low. The city is BEAUTIFUL but only second to the WOMAN! So many woman out here it's ridiculous and they're all looking to for men, any man. World's busiest Airport, awesome Aquarium, home of coca cola, the AUC (Atlanta University Center). This is the Mecca for young blacks of course, I won't lie but there is a nice diversity out here. Asians run Cobb county and that's a beautiful place. Hispanics are on the Eastside as well. Whites are all in midtown and buckhead. There's scenery for any and everything you're into and the people out here for the most part are good people. You get southern hospitality with a BIG CITY vibe. It's amazing.

...did I mention the women out here?

Im curious to why he had to mention being black though. I live in Atlanta and think all races can thrive down here in comparison to NY seeing how the cost of living is considerably lower and the housing market is good.
We were talking about expats and the communities that they make ostensibly exclusive to them only. While New York is pretty diverse, there's microaggressions and cultural norms that connotes people's individual beliefs and customs. Sometimes it's frustrating to natural born American citizens, especially working class. On top of that, my wife and I are in an interracial marriage and have three kids who deal with social issues at their schools. People try to put them in a box, mistake them for Puerto Rican sometimes saying really disturbing or confusing things to them. "We gotta stick together, papi", etc... 

Both having family that transplanted to Atlanta, the guy mentions how if he was black (he's Italian) he'd take advantage of the strong black communities in Atlanta. He pretty much said the same thing you said, cost of living and the housing market. Not from a racial standpoint but a community standpoint. My argument was why should I feel like I have to leave New York to live like a king? His response was New York isn't what it was when we were young, that diversity is changing into something else, something spinning out of control politically.

We agreed though that Atlanta, DC, and Baltimore are premiere places for black people to thrive and make enough money to maybe return to New York and live comfortably. I just hate smaller cities' politics.

Last edited:
Inb4 "black men with heads on their shoulders are a rare community" "40k out there let's you live like a king" "something something homosexuals"

This was an unneeded thread that on a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum.

Inb4 "black men with heads on their shoulders are a rare community" "40k out there let's you live like a king" "something something homosexuals"

This was an unneeded thread that on a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum.
That your mindset, not mine. I know the sociopolitical and socioeconomic pathology of many "black" communities' challenges. So I wouldn't word what you're attempting to imply in such a misinformed manner. It resonates with self-hate as if ignorance is only exclusive to the black community.

Secondly, the quality of life changes yearly due to a city's vacillating industry boom. 

Thirdly, a person's sexuality has nothing to do with their financial livelihood.

You enter a thread with obtuse logic coupled with an over-inflated ego and attempt to tell a forum of thousands what's unneeded based on your worldview? Okay.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
All those words and nothing was said.

You made a stupid thread about a topic that has been discussed numerous times on here. You could have easily hit the search button. But no, you chose to make this thread cause you're dying for acknowledgement or something.

It's not a mindset that this subject has been discussed here before, it's a fact.

Put your thesaurus away.

im really howling :rofl:

I don't understand why someone would move to a place where the cost of living is low, start a career just to save up money to move back to New York?
I would stay at the low cost of living place and save up for retirement.

I don't understand why someone would move to a place where the cost of living is low, start a career just to save up money to move back to New York?

This was literally how America was built though.

Last edited:
All those words and nothing was said.

You made a stupid thread about a topic that has been discussed numerous times on here. You could have easily hit the search button. But no, you chose to make this thread cause you're dying for acknowledgement or something.

It's not a mindset that this subject has been discussed here before, it's a fact.

Put your thesaurus away.
post-59154-Crying-Leo-Dicaprio-how-am-I-s-cWf3.gif

Because you're intellectually deaf, breh 
laugh.gif

Therefore you have no grounds to rule a thread stupid, and if you do I highly doubt it would be a respected claim.

Dying for acknowledgement? ...again, you're just intellectually deaf. The point of a message board is to carry on conversations...in fact the creators of the World Wide Web actually help develop forum technology so that INTELLIGENT people across the world could converse.

Saying that being black and "having a good head on your shoulders" is some type of anomaly, or even attempting to establish "superiority" or ascension in even entertaining it, let's me know this thread may be too astute for someone with your mindset.

Sadly, I didn't have to use a thesaurus not once ...
roll.gif

"jush vee stoopit like me"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom