How/when did the craze over the XIs start?

I remember back when they first dropped in '00-'01, you can just walk into a store the week of and just cop no problem like any other shoe. Now you have to wait in line for a whole day just to get your pair, riots breaking out, pay top dollar for a pair that just came out, the whole nine. What happened?

Ebay + resellers happened.

Most of these people buying the sneaks are not buying them to wear.

In my opinion there has always been hype on the 11's. I remember my Mom taking me to get the original Colombias and there being a line of about 30-40 people. Before this I hadn't seen more than 5 people in line on a Jordan release date.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

But you don't see this with any other shoe. Just mainly the XIs.

It's because they are one of sneaker heads favorite model.
Now though, it's mostly young people who add to the hype.

i remember in 2001 the only cw that started riots in chicago was the cool greys cuz they was differenter than the other XIs, n before that wen bred XIs dropped originally had people goin stupid over dem too.

It started back in 95-96 When MJ and the Bulls DOMINATED the league and went 72-10 for the season. That and nobody had seen anything like the XI's up to that point before.

In '95/96 (not sure where this 2000/2001 nonsense is coming from), there wasn't really an internet. You couldn't just type a shoe's release date into google and find it out. So, that's something else to keep in mind. Things stuck around a while longer because there wasn't the hoopla around release dates in general. The XIs were a big deal back in the day too though. Patent leather, revolutionary, unique design. Plus, MJ was coming off his return to the NBA. Great season and all that. Plus, it was a comeback of sorts for the Air Jordan too, as the IXs and Xs were seen as underwhelming. It was the confluence of one of the best designed shoes in the series and a set of circumstances that created an environment of anticipation. On the retro tip, JB has done a pretty good job of not whoring this model out and that's why it has such cache still - it's legacy hasn't been too badly sullied with a million awful retro+ colorways. Though the quality of the past few releases have killed the holiness of the model in a lot of people's eyes. Personally, I think the Concord release this past year was one of the worst releases in recent memory - a total desecration of one of the most iconic AJs of all time.

imo the reason its been out of control is because jb is only been releasing one 11 per year. if they were to retro these more i wouldnt be so crazy. all they retro is the 3,5,4,1 ex

Back in the OG release of 96 and the first retro of 2001 then breds were like any other kick and sat/slow sell out. Then we had 7 years of people starting to like them and people HYPING THEM THE !#+! UP PLUS BEING SMUG ABOUT HAVING A PAIR. This lead to alot of people wanting and liking them. Then the 11/12 CDP came out and the craziness began

Originally Posted by The Warehouse 13

It started back in 95-96 When MJ and the Bulls DOMINATED the league and went 72-10 for the season. That and nobody had seen anything like the XI's up to that point before.

There you go...Question answered perfectly right there^
wink.gif

What he said.
It all started back in 95-96 when the FIRST RELEASED.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Actually, the XIs didn't initially sell out when they first dropped like they do now. They were moving but you could get them without much trouble before Boyz II Men rocked them at the 96 AMAs. Besides MJ, they made them hot and brought JB to the mainstream.

The '00-'01 comment refers to when they were first retroed. No one really went crazy over them retroing back then compare to the hysteria today. Even when the OGs dropped, it still wasn't as crazy.

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

What he said.
It all started back in 95-96 when the FIRST RELEASED.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Them !$#$$ were hyped, but you know what level of hype OP is talking about. It had never been like that until the retro's

In 1995-1996, the first two colorways (Concords and Columbias) sat awhile....They sold steadily but nothing like the instant sell outs we see today. In fact, the Concords first released in October of 1995, and I was able to get a pair at the end of December of that year. This was due to a variety of factors. They were some of the first shoes to use patent leather...People weren't really sold on the idea just yet. It was almost too flashy. They also restocked shoes back in the day. Not like getting another store's leftover inventory, but actual restocks from Nike...And they mostly sat because you had alot of newcomers in the league cementing their own dominance....The #1 shoe that year? NOT the XI's.....The FILA Grant Hills.

It wasn't until the Bulls finished their regular season dominance with a 72-10 record that they hype took off. By the time the black/reds came out people were pumped for them. The OG black/red XI's were the first shoe I remember selling out almost everywhere the first day.

By the time they first retroed in 2000, they sold out immediately at most places. I don't know where you're from, but if you could walk in the mall AFTER the release date and get yourself your size in the 2000 Concords, you were pretty lucky. Most places had lines early in the morning for every colorway....Then the cool greys released and that changed the game.

In the retro 00-01 of the xi i managed to order three spacejams and three concords from eastbay and nike australia so it was much easier to get it then and back in 95-96 it was even more easier for me and i'm here in los angeles. I believe ebay is what started the craze of these shoes and what created jordan limited shoes like bins and doernbechers. So yes what the person said on the first page is what got this going. I'm here in los angeles and there are few people wearing this other than a person i saw on kobe 7 christmas release, another person on the concord campout and in the mall, me and my boss. That's it so far. Bought my size for 300 and wore them three days later after i bought them at cl. I love them as i do my air max tempo teal. And i wear them both. So really blame reselling and ebay for the quick sellout, or else it would've sold out i would say in a month or two if it wasn't for ebay, cl.

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

when the concords n columbias dropped they wasnt no big deal but wen mike broke out da breds it was wrap, they made the shoe
That's EXACTLY the same experience I witnessed.
Concords dropped, easy cop at the mall.

Columbias sat on the shelves.

Black/Reds came out and people went nuts. I remember having to drive all around the city trying to scoop up a pair that day.

It was playoff time and the Bulls and MJ were at the apex of the sports world.

I remembered the "beetlemania" type of hype around MJ's first come back to the NBA. The world really missed his presence in the league. The flashy PL on the XI sort of summed up the whole hype. But what made MJ and the XIs iconic was that MJ matched the hype and set the hype bar even higher with the best winning record, MVP/ Scoring titles, Hollywood movie, lighting up the league with highlights and a championship... The hype just became legendary and so did the shoes...

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

I remember back when they first dropped in '00-'01, you can just walk into a store the week of and just cop no problem like any other shoe. Now you have to wait in line for a whole day just to get your pair, riots breaking out, pay top dollar for a pair that just came out, the whole nine. What happened?

Not sure where you live, but in Dallas- you couldnt do that- they sold out with the quickness (first retros). Heck, back when the OGs dropped, i was never able to get a pair, in any colorway (i was like a size 8 at the time)- althouh at that time- i was at my parents will. The XI's have always been a fan favorite- theyre just a beautiful shoe and a great design
In 96 I worked at a Champs in SoCal and there were over fifty heads lined up on release day. IMO XI's have always been hyped. Actually Jordans in general have always been hyped. I remember people use to get jacked for their Jordans back in high school. Maybe it was just LA and other big cities, but its always been crazy. I'm sure the internet has helped contribute to the raised awarness. 

Back
Top Bottom