Has anybody seen through Hov's BS? (Vol. Eliminating competition)

The more I analyze this whole "who ruined hip-hop" idea, Jay-Z's name came up the most. 50 Cent is just as guilty but here are a few key points that a lot of people overlook.
When Jay became the president of Def Jam, a few key albums got pushed back and nobody noticed. Albums from Redman, Method Man, Ghostface, and DMX to name a few. Hell...some albums are still sitting on the shelf. Redman got blackballed so hard that they replaced him with Ludacris and they even call him the Redman of the south. If you look at the new Def Jam roster, you can obviously see what's going on...just to help you see things more clearer (even though he stepped down), WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD OF JAY-Z SIGNING A RAPPER FROM NY? He's no different than 50 Cent who pretty much turned everybody in NY against each other.

I had this debate a few days ago about LL Cool J's last album Exit 13. What they did to him was pretty jacked up. You'd expect for them to step their promotion up for the man whose been with the company since it started but he didn't get jack. I don't even remember hearing a single from that album, but I do know it was a decent album that deserved a chance.

Simply put... Jay-Z hates competition, if he didn't... he would've accepted Mos Def's challage and battled...that's if he really loves hip-hop.

If he loves hip-hop so much, Nas would be in a better position than he's already in.

Let me ask a more serious question, why is J. Cole working on a second album, but Jay Electronica hasn't even started yet?

Originally Posted by Young Handsome

Jay Electronica is lazy. He's from New Orleans also.

roll.gif

I agree that Jay doesn't really care about hiphop, but I stopped caring around vol 3.

He's like Jordan to me, his talent overshadows his flaws

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

I agree that Jay doesn't really care about hiphop, but I stopped caring around vol 3.

Since In My Lifetime, Blueprint has been the dopest thing he's put out so far. 
So yea, I'm willing to say he only has 2 dope albums under his belt.
His guest features made his albums what they were IMO.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

All those rappers you listed would have flopped anyways...
indifferent.gif

I don't think they would've flopped if they had the right push...

*sidebar* Beans killed Jay multiple times on Jay's own tracks, look at Beans now.

It's always been obvious Jay cares more about the money especially after he took that L to Nas. All the facts can be buried, excused or forgotten with clever lines later on and ppl who are weak minded/easily persuaded and manipulated.

More importantly, Jay has never been a good judge of talent or even decent at managing it properly and getting the most potential from an artist. I've always felt he went to the Puffy school of handling artists and he just has his own approach of using them up.

I wouldn't really blame him for DJ's problems. They were a graveyard label before he became president there.

I agree to a point it always seemed like Jay has went out of his way to throw a monkey wrench into the plans of anyone that couldve been perceived as comp. (ex. Cam, Dmx) its not far fetched. I've never liked dude musically or as a person in general he's just super corny, admire his business savy and selection in a woman tho.

You do know this is NT where talking down on ol Camel face is top sin tho right?

He's not at Def Jam anymore those people he "held back" still aint popping.

He was just an easy scape goat because you cant blame Weis or LA for elimating the competition. But they aint doing no different.

He signed Nas, He signed Jay Electronica, He signed J. Cole, He signed the hottest up & coming NYC rapper at that time Uncle Murda
laugh.gif
, Even pushed Fabolous

All competition

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

It's always been obvious Jay cares more about the money especially after he took that L to Nas. All the facts can be buried, excused or forgotten with clever lines later on and ppl who are weak minded/easily persuaded and manipulated.

More importantly, Jay has never been a good judge of talent or even decent at managing it properly and getting the most potential from an artist. I've always felt he went to the Puffy school of handling artists and he just has his own approach of using them up.

I wouldn't really blame him for DJ's problems. They were a graveyard label before he became president there.
Jay signed Jeezy (hottest thing on the streets for years), Rhianna (hottest thing in pop music right now), and Rick Ross (hottest thing in rap right now)
sit down

Originally Posted by LuckyLoser

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Since In My Lifetime, Blueprint has been the dopest thing he's put out so far. 
So yea, I'm willing to say he only has 2 dope albums under his belt.
His guest features made his albums what they were IMO.
American Gangster wasn't a dope album?

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Jay signed Jeezy (hottest thing on the streets for years), Rhianna (hottest thing in pop music right now), and Rick Ross (hottest thing in rap right now)
sit down

He brought Gaga to Def Jam too but she was later dropped

So I would say he has a decent eye for talent

Back
Top Bottom