Got into an accident and have a question

Am I able to request a dealership as my body shop? Or does it have to be a third party body shop?

Also, how bad do you think this is? haha

2002 Acura RL. I'm hoping it's totaled but I doubt it.

View media item 376935

I am actually a claims adjuster at one of the auto insurance companies. They may try to persuade you to use their preferred body shop ( I have to do it all of the time lol) but you always have the right to use any repair shop of your choice. They will typically go off of the estimate that the insurance adjuster writes. The preferred shops do have good benefits though. Usually life time warranties / rental available there / and usually quicker repairs.  If you go to your own shop you have to go get an estimate ( Some may come out to you) , go pick up a rental, schedule your own repairs. Then if your own shop takes too long or they wait to order the parts late, the insurance company will not cover the rental for extra days. 

From the looks of it, I doubt the vehicle will be totalled. Maybe because it is an 2002. but it just looks like a new bumper and maybe a trunk.

If you have any questions about the claims process just let me know.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Yeah the bumper and trunk are pretty much done. I've noticed that there's some frame damage behind the bumper. Oh well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow

edit: I would say it's in fair to almost good condition with 193,000 miles. Does it look like the body damage will me more than 3-4k?

Last edited:
:stoneface: you have a smashed in trunk and rear bumper. do you?

But my car isn't even worth that much anymore...

Regardless of what the damage is, if it costs more to repair it than the value of the car itself, it's totaled. That's all I'm saying. The car has 193k miles on it and is in fair to good condition. Valued at $3,000-$4,000 if i were to privately sell it. My car ain't worth that much

But my car isn't even worth that much anymore...

Regardless of what the damage is, if it costs more to repair it than the value of the car itself, it's totaled. That's all I'm saying. The car has 193k miles on it and is in fair to good condition. Valued at $3,000-$4,000 if i were to privately sell it. My car ain't worth that much
This. The car doesn't have to be hit in the front for it to be total. It can be hit from the back (pause) and have FRAME damage to which you either have to cut and use another cars frame or even pull it a bit to fix it. You can't tell much by the picture though. If it has actual frame damage then yeah it might be totalled. If its just the bumper/trunk youre good. Idt the frame damage it has is bad though. From the looks of it , if it has any.

Last edited:
my moms car got hit in the back and was totaled yours look worst though

then again nothing was really broken off the car the trunk and bumper was pushed in + frame damage

Last edited:

LOL no insurer is going to give him more money then his car is worth. If you do go with your own shop maybe you can get some shop to get scrap parts to replace the bumper and trunk?

If you're not especially particular about the body shop, call your insurance company and get a list of their preferred shops.

You get better deals/save time because the insurance company and shop do frequent business together.

The savings isn't THAT much, so if you want to take it to a particular shop, you can.

Back
Top Bottom