For someone who has never ran a marathon, but did pretty good in gym class when he had track....

Mister Meaner

formerly super producer j
how does he go about training for one?
laugh.gif
I know my previous track experience means squat. Yes, the NYC Marathon & no, not tomorrow. Next year though. Few questions:

When do I start to train? 1 year? 10 months? 6 months?
Has anyone here done it? I know there is a lottery to get in.
Would joining a gym be beneficial? Working out core muscles, and being able to run, etc

Any good reference websites to check out? I have checked out google, loads of info, but would like something concise.

Not sure if there is another thread on this. Will look now. edit: Nope, unless you count 'treadmill calorie counter' as a duplicate thread.

how does he go about training for one?
laugh.gif
I know my previous track experience means squat. Yes, the NYC Marathon & no, not tomorrow. Next year though. Few questions:

When do I start to train? 1 year? 10 months? 6 months?
Has anyone here done it? I know there is a lottery to get in.
Would joining a gym be beneficial? Working out core muscles, and being able to run, etc

Any good reference websites to check out? I have checked out google, loads of info, but would like something concise.

Not sure if there is another thread on this. Will look now. edit: Nope, unless you count 'treadmill calorie counter' as a duplicate thread.

start working out now...

run 1-1.5 miles 3days/wk for a month or so bump it up to 2-3 miles by the end of the 3rd month... by the 6th month should be running 5-6 miles 3days/wk. 9month mark, start doing a few 8-10 mile runs

workout your lower back, abs, and legs of course... days you don't run, lift... take weekends off

Start some kinda yoga or similar class (srs)

DIET properly

start working out now...

run 1-1.5 miles 3days/wk for a month or so bump it up to 2-3 miles by the end of the 3rd month... by the 6th month should be running 5-6 miles 3days/wk. 9month mark, start doing a few 8-10 mile runs

workout your lower back, abs, and legs of course... days you don't run, lift... take weekends off

Start some kinda yoga or similar class (srs)

DIET properly

I did a half marathon this year in order to get myself in shape....I started training about 4 months in advance. At first I just started with 1-2 mile runs then I would do 3-5 miles regularly and a long run of 8-10 miles every now and then. My time was decent (finished in a bit over 2 hours), but I plan on running throughout the year in preparation for when I run again next year, If I'm in good enough shape I might try the full marathon. The key to training is to make sure you're running every week and always improving your time and your distances. Diet was a key factor for me too since I wanted to lose weight as well, and I ended up losing about 30 lbs throughout the training. If you're looking for a training plan, Runner's World probably has a lot of good info although I never really used a plan myself, but since you're doing a full marathon and haven't done one before then it will likely be useful.

I did a half marathon this year in order to get myself in shape....I started training about 4 months in advance. At first I just started with 1-2 mile runs then I would do 3-5 miles regularly and a long run of 8-10 miles every now and then. My time was decent (finished in a bit over 2 hours), but I plan on running throughout the year in preparation for when I run again next year, If I'm in good enough shape I might try the full marathon. The key to training is to make sure you're running every week and always improving your time and your distances. Diet was a key factor for me too since I wanted to lose weight as well, and I ended up losing about 30 lbs throughout the training. If you're looking for a training plan, Runner's World probably has a lot of good info although I never really used a plan myself, but since you're doing a full marathon and haven't done one before then it will likely be useful.

Depends on your expectations and what it is you want to get out of it. Please state these and I will be able to help you more. Do you just want to finish or do you want to finish with a certain time. Regardless you are going to need to build a base, try ad build up to about 30 miles per week with a long run of about 10 miles once a week, this will help you out alot when it comes time to putting in work. About 6 months out start increasing your long runs and mileage and most importantly stay healthy, listen to your body and do what feels right. I am hoping to commit to a marathon in the new year and get a Boston qualifier.

Depends on your expectations and what it is you want to get out of it. Please state these and I will be able to help you more. Do you just want to finish or do you want to finish with a certain time. Regardless you are going to need to build a base, try ad build up to about 30 miles per week with a long run of about 10 miles once a week, this will help you out alot when it comes time to putting in work. About 6 months out start increasing your long runs and mileage and most importantly stay healthy, listen to your body and do what feels right. I am hoping to commit to a marathon in the new year and get a Boston qualifier.

Do you want to do the NYC marathon or just a marathon? Because Google can help you train for a marathon. Google can't help you get a spot in the NYC marathon.

Do you want to do the NYC marathon or just a marathon? Because Google can help you train for a marathon. Google can't help you get a spot in the NYC marathon.

It takes time. You need to build a solid base in pre training, like people have said, 1-2 miles 3 times a week for a couple of months and build from there making your way up to 3-5 miles a couple of times a week then up to a 7-8 miler once a week (thats where im at right now so thats as far as I can speak too).  After you build a solid 3 months of pre training, and feel comfortable running for 30-40 minutes without breaks, most marathon and half marathon training schedules are in th 12-15 week range.
You need to run about 4 times a week, and actually REST ON REST DAYS. The key is to not over training, dont increase you milage by more the %10 per week, start slow and work your way up. If you want to run a marathon next year, start now. Get used to running a couple of times a week, and eventually youll get addicted. When I first started i used to dread my long runs, now I cant wait for early Sunday mornings to get my 8 miles in. I started running twice a week in july, 2-3 miles, and like I said im putting in 8 miles on sundays and I plan on running a 10k(6.2 miles) on Dec 5 in Central Park (goal is under 50 min), with the main goal being the NYC Half Marathon on March 20 2011 (under 2 hrs). After that I would love to do NYC Marathon 2011 if I can.

Dont let the little things get in the way, your going to be sore, your going to have some little nagging injuries, ice them down, and rest when needed. SET GOALS, I cant stress this enough. Tell yourself that you want to run a 5k in under 25 minutes or a 10k in under 50, youll be surprised at how much a personal goal can push you. 

I check out Runnersworld.com for info on running, and Marathonrookie.com in a website I use a lot, I will be using the 4 day a week training program to train for the NYC half in March. I also use the Nike+ system to track all my runs and progress and it has helped me a lot. 

Good luck and stay motivated.

It takes time. You need to build a solid base in pre training, like people have said, 1-2 miles 3 times a week for a couple of months and build from there making your way up to 3-5 miles a couple of times a week then up to a 7-8 miler once a week (thats where im at right now so thats as far as I can speak too).  After you build a solid 3 months of pre training, and feel comfortable running for 30-40 minutes without breaks, most marathon and half marathon training schedules are in th 12-15 week range.
You need to run about 4 times a week, and actually REST ON REST DAYS. The key is to not over training, dont increase you milage by more the %10 per week, start slow and work your way up. If you want to run a marathon next year, start now. Get used to running a couple of times a week, and eventually youll get addicted. When I first started i used to dread my long runs, now I cant wait for early Sunday mornings to get my 8 miles in. I started running twice a week in july, 2-3 miles, and like I said im putting in 8 miles on sundays and I plan on running a 10k(6.2 miles) on Dec 5 in Central Park (goal is under 50 min), with the main goal being the NYC Half Marathon on March 20 2011 (under 2 hrs). After that I would love to do NYC Marathon 2011 if I can.

Dont let the little things get in the way, your going to be sore, your going to have some little nagging injuries, ice them down, and rest when needed. SET GOALS, I cant stress this enough. Tell yourself that you want to run a 5k in under 25 minutes or a 10k in under 50, youll be surprised at how much a personal goal can push you. 

I check out Runnersworld.com for info on running, and Marathonrookie.com in a website I use a lot, I will be using the 4 day a week training program to train for the NYC half in March. I also use the Nike+ system to track all my runs and progress and it has helped me a lot. 

Good luck and stay motivated.

Big difference from running 1 mile and 26.2 my dude. Start running 5ks and come back and see if your serious.

Big difference from running 1 mile and 26.2 my dude. Start running 5ks and come back and see if your serious.

Thanks fellas, some really good, and similar advice, which is what I am looking for.

airblaster, since it would be (hopefully), my first (although I didn't think about the half marathon), I'm not even too sure of my expectations. Giving it some quick thought, I would have to see how my training goes, say 6 months prior to the marathon, just how far I have progressed, and set my marathon goals from there.

One thing for sure, I do not need to lose any weight. In fact, I would like to gain a good 15-20 lbs from my current 170 lb frame. I'm 6' btw, very slim, with skinny arms
ohwell.gif

What gear do you guys use? Timers? Sneakers?

Thanks fellas, some really good, and similar advice, which is what I am looking for.

airblaster, since it would be (hopefully), my first (although I didn't think about the half marathon), I'm not even too sure of my expectations. Giving it some quick thought, I would have to see how my training goes, say 6 months prior to the marathon, just how far I have progressed, and set my marathon goals from there.

One thing for sure, I do not need to lose any weight. In fact, I would like to gain a good 15-20 lbs from my current 170 lb frame. I'm 6' btw, very slim, with skinny arms
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

ohwell.gif

For shoes hit up a running specialty store and get fitted, it would be worth it.  I slightly over pronate so I do most of my running in stability shoes, right now Adidas Adizero Tempos and Mizuno Wave Elixers.  As far as timers, if you want to get serious from the start buy a garmin gps watch for a few hundred, but my advice is to just buy a timex ironman for now just to use to time your runs and not worry to much about technical stuff at this point.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

ohwell.gif

For shoes hit up a running specialty store and get fitted, it would be worth it.  I slightly over pronate so I do most of my running in stability shoes, right now Adidas Adizero Tempos and Mizuno Wave Elixers.  As far as timers, if you want to get serious from the start buy a garmin gps watch for a few hundred, but my advice is to just buy a timex ironman for now just to use to time your runs and not worry to much about technical stuff at this point.

5 marathon vet here. Done Portland, Green Bay, Eugene, Boston, and Springfield, MO.  2:58:01 personal best.  Mrathons are no joke. Imagine the hardest thing you've ever done, then having to run another 6 miles. I actually ran one today but had to take a DNF (did not finish) because I started throwing up at mile 14. Blue Powerade FTL...

Anyways if you're looking for a good plan check out Jeff Galloway's. I could PM you the plan I use but you'd want to tweek it. I do a lot of miles lol. Most plans are 16 weeks long. If you have a very good physical base and can run 10 miles nonstop you could probably do a 16 week plan if you're goal is to just finish. If not, get in shape and aim for a marathon next fall.
Anybody else besides me doing Boston in the spring?  Registration this year was a B*TCH.

5 marathon vet here. Done Portland, Green Bay, Eugene, Boston, and Springfield, MO.  2:58:01 personal best.  Mrathons are no joke. Imagine the hardest thing you've ever done, then having to run another 6 miles. I actually ran one today but had to take a DNF (did not finish) because I started throwing up at mile 14. Blue Powerade FTL...

Anyways if you're looking for a good plan check out Jeff Galloway's. I could PM you the plan I use but you'd want to tweek it. I do a lot of miles lol. Most plans are 16 weeks long. If you have a very good physical base and can run 10 miles nonstop you could probably do a 16 week plan if you're goal is to just finish. If not, get in shape and aim for a marathon next fall.
Anybody else besides me doing Boston in the spring?  Registration this year was a B*TCH.

Back
Top Bottom