Football Special Teams Advice/whatever

I just found I am getting promoted to special teams coordinator at the high school I coach at. I had a pretty big hand in the units last year I guess but Iwasn't the one "running the show" so to speak so I definitely want to change up somethings to put my own mark on it. I know a lot of guys onhere played football/are pretty knowledge about the game so I was just curious if you guys had any cool ideas or anything. I know some people got the oldschool mentality of just getting out there and kicking off the ball but that's not how I am or how my special team units will be (won't lie that feelspretty cool to say for the first time haha) So if any of you guys got any ideas or remember seeing something cool you saw let me know. We did some pretty coolthings last year that the kids really enjoyed so hopefully I can continue and grow on that.

NT is probably the wrong place to look.

The best team you can teach is fundamentals. In high school they usually have their stud to return kicks/punts, so the kid is going to be fast and quick.

Teach your kids to stay in their lanes and knock the snot of the opposing player.

One word for kick return: Rosebud. That play was bonkers in pee-wee football.

All I can tell you is to get your kids motivated to play special teams. Also I would get your kickoff team to scramble and switch lanes while coming down thefield it really messes up kickoff returns if your kickoff team does it right.

Atlanta once had there guys "huddle" up around the Returner after he caught it (so you couldn't see who had the ball) and then they all brokeout in different directions. Play was wild
eek.gif

I wish I could find a picture or remember what game it was. It wasn't original though they got it from some team back in the day.

Originally Posted by GMSboy1

Atlanta once had there guys "huddle" up around the Returner after he caught it (so you couldn't see who had the ball) and then they all broke out in different directions. Play was wild
eek.gif

I wish I could find a picture or remember what game it was. It wasn't original though they got it from some team back in the day.
Rosebud baby.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by swizzc

Originally Posted by GMSboy1

Atlanta once had there guys "huddle" up around the Returner after he caught it (so you couldn't see who had the ball) and then they all broke out in different directions. Play was wild
eek.gif

Rosebud baby.
pimp.gif

Can you start me off with a reference? I'm trying to look it up and google's not helping. A coach's name or something?

urban meyer always has some great trick plays. i also suggest going to the spread punt formation that a lot of team have implemented over the past 5 yrs incollege football.

haha the Rose Bud, that's a little too wild.

I'm actually a big fan of UF's special teams, mostly because I heard Urban Meyer puts a huge emphasis on it. I'm not sure if its true or not, but Iheard the punt block unit is the unit that gets to eat first at team meals or something along those lines - that's pretty cool.

Unsure on the spread punt though, I'm not that big of a fan. I do like how you get your guys out in space but I don't like the protection issues.

Back
Top Bottom