Does the sneaker community need “constant” engagement to thrive?

rbk93

Supporter
I’m noticing a lot of shops or stores going out or potentially going out of business, maybe just due to the “economy” and people falling on hard times.

My main question is does the sneaker community need constant engagement to want to participate in this hobby that many of us enjoy? I remember one member(I think his name was Shoezilla, don’t remember exactly) being upset that he was required to go through a few hoops to just acquire a pair of shoes. Even came down to a argument in store.

I don’t mind it personally, but I’m trying to see where everyone’s headspace is. Do you feel it’s necessary to keep you active or you just want the shoe and go about your day?

I’ll reference this post as well, but it pertains to my topic.

If i gotta subscribe, share, and tag 3 people on your IG just to enter your stupid raffle, I don't want it. I don't want the shoes that bad. Maybe if I was younger, I'd go through the hoops, but at 33, **** those shoes. I can live without.

But to answer your question, is it necessary? I guess for certain shops who are still trying to establish their business.

Part of it is the prices. I’ll use a pair like the white powder blue 9’s as an example. It’s an og colorway that hadn’t came out for years. They’ve been sitting for months in most stores. I would cop them at around $150-160. They’re a cool sneaker, but not a must have. I’m not interested in them at $210 plus tax and I think a lot of people share that sentiment.

The core customer base for alot of these sneakers are getting older too. Someone who was 18 in 1995 when the concord 11’s first came out is in their late 40’s now. They got kids and in some cases grandkids and between other things in life taking priority and not having the same interest they once had in sneakers that have been retroed multiple times over. It’s not moving the needle the way it once did.

Some kid born in 2005 doesn’t have the same attachment and sentimental moments and first hand experiences growing up where alot of these sneakers were classics. Yeah the stuff is cool to them, but it’s not hitting the same for them and while they might cop a pair here and there. It’s not a priority for them and they’re more open to copping other brands.

Certain stuff being harder to get and having to try and hit on snkrs raffles and stuff. It’s just an annoyance and I don’t feel like jumping through hoops to get stuff. I’m 39. I’ve been buying and collecting sneakers in some type of capacity since I was 14 or so. I’ve had damn near everything I wanted at some point. I don’t care to have to “put the work in” to secure my pair. Putting in work to me was establishing relationships with multiple managers to hold my pairs down and let me eat on 50% employee appreciation weekends regularly. These days they want way too much just to simply hold down your size and all the hookups aren’t available like they once were. If I can my pair easily then great. If not, that money will go toward a trip or doing something fun instead.

One question is are the old heads being replaced by newer kids in large numbers? That's what's needed for the community to keep thriving.

I don't care about engagement. I do admit it was fun when those apps first launched. You were pretty much guaranteed anything you wanted if you were in the highest tier. That lasted for about a year before it all went to hell.

I think engagement in some capacity is important.

Creating and making memories off it any time I get a chance is definitely worthwhile.

I’m not sure if the end result is increased foot traffic and generating business revenue, but I do appreciate the many different events I’ve attended…whether it was meeting James Whitner twice as well as Kris Wright, celebrating Jordan’s birthday(alone at that) at Premium Goods, or many various campus and interactions with store owners, managers, staff, etc.

I’m not saying entertain me in order to get my business, but I don’t necessarily think the shoes just sell themselves. There’s something that sets each business apart from another and why one might be more “successful” than the next.

Back
Top Bottom