Complex Magazine bashes "Old School" Rap Fans Complaining about Drake & Future's new project

ou old head, super lyrical ************* need to get over yourselves. Every time some new rap drops you sound bitter. “This ain’t that real ****,” you scream as you fix your two-toned durag and adjust your NT denim. We can't enjoy the two hottest rappers in the game dropping a joint tape? What exactly is that “real” **** then? Turn up music isn’t “real” hip-hop? How so? Was the genre not invented at a goddamn party? Isn’t music about having a good time? I’m dead tired of you cats, man. You make my head hurt. Can’t be listening to Talib Kweli rap off beat and Lupe Fiasco deep cuts at BBQs. I, too, was once like you, but come on, don’t nobody wanna hear that **** all the ******* time.

Let's try to define "real" rap. Is it Biggie or Jay Z? I remember when they were categorized as R&B rappers. "Real" rap to me has to have soul. It has to give you a feeling of jubilance when you listen to it. I may feel jubilance when I listen to Rakim and when I listen to Fetty Wap. Is that hard to believe? Do you even try when you're not hating? Why can't Black Moon and Rae Sremmurd both be "real" rap? You can walk around with your chewstick during the day and then turn up at the club at night.

CAN’T BE LISTENING TO TALIB KWELI RAP OFF BEAT AND LUPE FIASCO DEEP CUTS AT BBQS.

More importantly: Who cares what mainstream rap is doing when you have the Internet? There are so many great artists out there waiting for you to discover them. The game is changing and it’s for the better. Yes, you read that right. Because of the Internet, one can bounce around from genre to genre effortlessly. No one is forcing you to listen to Drake and Future. No one is putting a gun to your oversized fitted and making you download the tape as you piss your pants. I didn't hit play on What a Time to Be Alive and expect Malcolm X samples.

A lot of that “real” **** is boring when in certain settings, bro. The reason why Biggie, J****, and ’Pac are legends is because they were able to give us street, party, and “real” records. Future and Drake aren’t super lyrical miracle rappers, but one can argue that they can make all three. Drake is a simp and Future is a savage—it's the perfect marriage. One is a hitmaker while the other makes mainstream-leaning street records about his drug addiction. Future is baring his soul on this tape like he usually does. If that's not "real" I don't know what is.

If you expect them to speak on social issues, you’re an idiot. Why is it impossible to enjoy this tape one minute and Rakim the next? Is that blasphemy? I seen some dude tweet some **** that old heads say all the time:

Yall listen to these gay *** trap rappers like Future, Thug, Wiz, & Fetty I listen to Rakim, Nas, Kanye, Mos, Talib, Em, BIG, Ghost, & Lupe
— Trap Music Is Trash. (@GreatTheater42) September 21, 2015
Whoa! *brain explodes all over my desk* Dude, no way! But wait...isn’t trap music about the streets and selling drugs? So, by definition aren’t Nas, Biggie, and Ghostface trap rappers? *hits blunt* And I don’t mean to pick on dude, but that’s a perfect example of how dumb some of you sound. I enjoy all of those rappers he mentioned. It’s really not that difficult. Listening to rap music is not rocket science. If you want to argue about radio playing ******** that's cool and all, but I don't listen to the radio. Why? Because I'm a human being who is capable of making my own decisions. Catch up with the times.

I am so thankful for being able to sit comfortably between both generations. I had my tape deck ready to record Stretch & Bobbito mixes at two in the morning. I'm old enough to have multiple Hot 97 freestyles recorded on this thing called the audio cassette. I'm also young enough to appreciate the era we're currently in. I can buy (or illegally download) surprise albums with the click of a button. I'm not the biggest Drake fan by any stretch of the imagination, but even I—a former member of Old Head "Real" Rap Twitter—can salute Future and Drizzy for getting creative and surprising their fans with quality music. Don't be scared, old head; you are not dead, you're just living in the future. What a time to be alive, indeed.

http://www.complex.com/music/2015/09/drake-future-what-a-time-to-be-alive

Lupe Fiasco has responded to this as well

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Sorry typo...I meant *****... @ADiaz456 @ComplexMag

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Fear is weak emotion feel how you wanna feel *****...thanx for the good review...but you a butch for that article @ADiaz456 @ComplexMag

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Your article was distasteful and unnecessary and it was ******* wack. Speak your peace but don't involve us ***** @ADiaz456 @ComplexMag

View conversation·

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Don't mention our names with ******** Angel you aint did enough in rap to muddy the names of ****** who keep it alive @ADiaz456 @ComplexMag

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

#DefendRap **** @ComplexMag Noah you really need to filter your bloggers...makes you look ******* suspect dawg

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Learn not to intercede on behalf of ****** who don't give two ***** about you @ComplexMag and stop using REAL MC's names in vain for likes

View details·

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

If ****** don't like that **** then they don't ******* like it..stop caping for a backstage pass I **** with both dem ****** @ComplexMag

Lupe Fiasco
@LupeFiasco

2h

Keep Lupe name out that *****hit...don't make SLR you clowns...FOH @ComplexMag

https://mobile.twitter.com/lupefiasco

Last edited:
article and Lupe's tweets are equally corny...this didn't need it's own thread doe

Glad I can listen to Ghostface Killah and Chief Keef songs and not make a fuss

i do the same, people should be able to balance everything. but people need to chill with the slander of calling it "dust" since the music is different.

Yall peep how the author snuck two NT jokes in there?  There were references to 'oversized fitteds' and 'NT Denim' as part of the uniform of the 'oldheads' he's railing against.  These Complex weirdos lurk among us.

Last edited:
Talib Kweli responds

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

I actually agreed with the article until son threw me & Lupe under the bus for soft *** hipster cool points lol

Yall peep how the author snuck two NT jokes in there?  There were references to 'oversized fitteds' and 'NT Denim' as part of the uniform of the 'oldheads' he's railing against.  These Complex weirdos lurk among us.

kind of weird since NT messes with Drake & Future's music

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

4s

I met Drake at SOBs, at his first show there. I was a fan of So Far Gone, I had missed the first 2 Mixtapes. Drake has always showed love..

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

1m

I was a fan of Future then, and saw the grip he had on the ATL scene. I knew he would dominate & rooted for him.

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

2m

When I met Future, the first thing he said to me was he met me when he was 15 at the Organized Noise session for Hiphop For Respect, 1999

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

3m

Let me tell you an origin story. Hypebeasts and groupies pay attention...for the next few tweets....

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

31s

My career is proof that I support ALL of Hiphop. I've collaborated with a more diverse set of rappers than ANYONE. Hands down.

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

2m

From DJ Quik to Nelly to Gucci Mane, over a 20+ yr career, I've recorded w many artists that so called hiphop purists cringe at. I'm a fan.

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

3m

Drake & Future linking is great for the game. And thru my career I've made it a point to support no artists no matter what my fans think.

Talib Kweli Greene
@TalibKweli

2m

From DJ Quik to Nelly to Gucci Mane, over a 20+ yr career, I've recorded w many artists that so called hiphop purists cringe at. I'm a fan.

Nelly goat status but ya'll don't hear me doe 
laugh.gif

Dude that wrote this is d riding on a whole new level. **** was unnecessary. This is what's wrong with some of these new rap fans. _'s get offended if somebody doesn't like their favorite artist. If people don't like it so what. Sounds like he's begging for a backstage pass like Lupe said.

Didn't wanna start a new thread and I figured this sort of ties into the op...but is it me or mainstream rap boring as hell right now?

I feel like the reason why drake and future is getting so much shine is because there isn't **** else to look forward to. I mean I remember when we were waiting on like 15+ artists to drop in a years time. Now it seem like it's only a handful of rappers that can build that anticipation. What are people really looking forward to for the rest of the year? I wanna say Kanye...but Kanye is so far removed from the Kanye that took over rap...that I'm sure many aren't that hyped. It's like when you hear Kanye...the first thing that comes to mind isn't music anymore.

You got Kendrick and Drake that's at the forefront. future owns his lane now. I guess Cole...and then who else?

New blood is desperately needed.

Last edited:
I understand what the dude was trying to say in the article but he did it in a such a corny way and there was no reason to mention Lupe and Kweli's names

Especially Kweli with all the guys he's collaborated with and the way he constantly puts down the talk of "real rap" and praises artists people wouldn't associate with him liking

Also isn't it becoming kind of tired and cliche to use a guy like Kweli to represent "real" or "conscious" rap

Last edited:
Also isn't it becoming kind of tired and cliche to use a guy like Kweli to represent "real" or "conscious" rap

I've always hated that label. Technically, all rap is conscious rap. there are different levels of consciousness. It's all about polarity. Talib Kweli represents one state of consciousness, Migos represent another.

Dude was reaching for the rustles. Could have been done in a way more classy and effective way. My boy who I trust in music told me he missed the introspective drake compared to the bangers he makes now, I asked him to please come out of the closet. 

First, complex magazine or blog whatever is now needs to be discredited for anything they try and contribute. Complex mag and Joe Lapuma are culture vultures, most of the stuff like this article are corny and just bad opinons. Every time I see something connected to complex it is beyond cringeworthy.

Attempting to minimize the opinions of "old heads" while simultaneously giving their opinions credence by addressing them?
If someone accused me of being a space alien it wouldn't move me in any way because there is absolutely no truth to the accusation.

It's similar to out of touch conservatives that blame rap music for violence in society. Yep, Drake, Kanye, J.Cole, and Travis Scott really make me wanna put a ski mask on and rob someone.

Back
Top Bottom