Community College NTers

So I just finished my first year at CC ... And man it's tough. Not necessarily that the classes are super hard or anything but ...
I have absolutely no idea on what I want to major in. I took courses like English, Anthro, Psychology, which are all very interesting. I'm just at a complete loss at what I want to do with my life. 

Anyone in the same boat?

Ah, "generally" studying.... so you're pretty much just "generally" wasting your money. why dont you look into building your own business? something that will actually help you in the future.

just about to xfer over to a university after 2 years at a cc... feels good bcuz im moving on and know wat i need to do to accomplish my goals

Sophomore year is when people usually figure out what they want to do. That's when I figured out what I wanted to major in, after contemplating tons of options.

Try to figure out what you could see yourself doing in 10 years and being happy about, job and life wise. If money's your motivation, go for a high-salary-earning job, then pick the most appealing. If not, aim for something you find truly interesting, regardless of the workload. You've still got time that you could pick literally anything.

And consider yourself lucky that you're in a CC and trying to figure this out. Most kids in universities are in the same boat, but paying 5x as much to do so.

Originally Posted by Ground King

Ah, "generally" studying.... so you're pretty much just "generally" wasting your money. why dont you look into building your own business? something that will actually help you in the future.

Stupid advice in general
Not everyone can just wake up and build a business from the ground up. Even if its a waste of time like you stupidly claimed, OP can learn things which might create new ideas in his head and maybe eventually build a business like you suggested or create something better. A foundation needs to be build in order to be able to create something out of nothing. If someone lacks the understanding about certain matters then maybe a CC course can shed some light and motivate the OP to seek even more information. 

I believe the best place to waste time is at school compared to other *%*% like working retail.

Not everything is magic. Great ideas don't just pop out of nowhere, they are developed consciously or subconsciously. If its so easy.... then give me a million dollar idea on your reply Ground King

I hate these #!#!!#! talking out their %*%

why would you pick a major at a CC? I went to one knowing I was going to leave so i just did Gen ed classes. I left with over 30 credits and all my classes transferred. Freshman year was out the way for a fraction of the price.

if you pick a major from a CC and try to carry on at a 4-year, you might have issues trying to transfer in classes since uni major reqs are structured/rigid.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

why would you pick a major at a CC? I went to one knowing I was going to leave so i just did Gen ed classes. I left with over 30 credits and all my classes transferred. Freshman year was out the way for a fraction of the price.

if you pick a major from a CC and try to carry on at a 4-year, you might have issues trying to transfer in classes since uni major reqs are structured/rigid.

I was hoping that I'd have some sort of idea on what I want to major in at this point is what I meant.

Originally Posted by Ground King

I see some dumb stuff said on NT and this is up there
many CC have articulation agreements with state, public and private colleges so go see an advisor and put the classes you taken into something and look for a transfer major...if you don't know what you want to do then I would recommend aiming towards something in business. 

OP, what are some things you enjoy doing? Think of what your favorite subjects in high school were.
If you cant really figure it out, business is probably one of your better options since it can lead to such a broad spectrum of career choices.

Transferring to university finally this fall after 4 years at cc. I took some time off in between.

I went through a few different options. I thought about being an English major, took an environmental science class, but I finally settled on Computer Science. I might decide to minor in Creative Writing.

Anyway, my advice for figuring out what you want to do is to be active in looking. It won't just come to you, and you're sort of just wasting the prime years of your life if you just sit there hoping it'll find you. I had no clue until last year. I took an English course and the professor kind of gave me a kick in the right direction and the following summer I tried out a bunch of things, one of them was trying to make a game on some small website with their own programming language. I thought it was pretty fun, and then I realized working on games and stuff would give me everything I'm looking for: Good pay, good release for creative energy, fun environment(hopefully), etc. Growing up, I think there is this weird notion that our passion in life will just find us. I think your passions are, for the most part, developed. So yeah, don't waste time just sitting there bro, go out and try things wholeheartedly.

17 and dunno what to do in life checking in
frown.gif

Just make sure you finish your GE's and all your classes are transferrable. I'd say just look at the things in your life that you like/want to do and try to pursue a field in that?

Do what you want, life's too short to worry about money. Don't want to work a 9-5 and be miserable.

check to see if they having a counseling class that will help you decide...i know mine did, and still counted as GE

Back
Top Bottom