Cavs Open To Varejao Sign And Trade?

Link
November 28, 2007 - 5:28 am
Varejao_Anderson_cle.jpg
ESPN -
Over the past few weeks, several NBA general managers have told ESPN.com that agent Dan Fegan has been searching out potential sign-and-trade deals for disgruntled restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, according to ESPN writer Chad Ford.

In recent days, there have been indications that the Cavs are open to the possibility of a sign-and-trade.

Two GMs told ESPN.com they believe Varejao would agree to a five-year, $45-million deal in a sign-and-trade, if such an offer were made.

"If that's the price, or close to it, I think Danny [Ferry] will get some offers that make sense for the Cavs," one GM said. "I'm not sure he'll get equal value, but right now he has nothing and I don't see it changing."

If Varejao leaves, it will be a bitter ending for both parties. But at this point, that might be the most workable option.

"I'm willing to go and play in Europe if that's what it takes," Varejao said. "I know it's a risk and I'll be a restricted free agent next year, but at least I'd be happy. I don't think I'll be happy in Cleveland knowing that I was [almost] the lowest-paid player there for three years and am still paid much less than players on the team that I outperform. Life's too short to be unhappy."

alien.gif

I'd take him in Dallas for half that price. He'd be another different defensive look to throw at the various PFs of the West. Plus I think it'd behilarious to have the 2 "best" floppers in the league on the same team. We'd draw like a million charges.

I don't see what all the hate on him trying to get paid is about... I mean, c'mon, after 3 years he's posting career averages of 5.6 PPG and 5.7RPG. And last year he was killin' it with almost 7 PPG & RPG... yes, he almost averaged 7 & 7. If those numbers don't command big bucks, then Idon't know what does.

Seriously though, who does this guy think he is? Unless you can get somebody productive in a sign and trade, let this guy rot in the Euroluge for awhile...he'll be lucky to put up 7 & 7 over there.

He needs to quit. Dude posted 7 & 7 and wants 45 to 60 mill over 6 years. What a dummy.

Just let this bum rot so he and Fegan look like the biggest idiots for pulling this #**$.

from Windhorst's blog:

By the way, Varejao trying to indict the Cleveland media saying he never asked for a contract averaging $10-$11 million a year is rich. One of the worst kept secrets in the NBA is that Fegan asked for six years and more than $60 million a few days before training camp. Executives all over the league have been taking to each other and to media members about that figure. It's not even inside information anymore, everybody knows it. Maybe that is not what they are asking for now, but they asked for it then.
Get rid of him but don't try to find the perfect match for him. Screw AV, he'll go to a loser and like it.

Originally Posted by daprescription

5 year 35 million and I'll take him.
7 mil/year is really overpaying him. We let J-Rich go when he was making 10 mil/year. We all know J-Rich >>>>>> Varejao. 3 mil/yeardifference isn't that far off...

Originally Posted by Paul Is 0n NT

7 mil/year is really overpaying him. We let J-Rich go when he was making 10 mil/year. We all know J-Rich >>>>>> Varejao. 3 mil/year difference isn't that far off...

Our team doesn't need scoring. We need rebounds, and unfortunately big mean cost more(ho ****)

7 mil/year is really overpaying him. We let J-Rich go when he was making 10 mil/year. We all know J-Rich >>>>>> Varejao. 3 mil/year difference isn't that far off...

Our team doesn't need scoring. We need rebounds, and unfortunately big mean cost more(ho ****)
We also need the cap space... All I'm saying is that 7 mil/year is overpaying him.

We also need the cap space... All I'm saying is that 7 mil/year is overpaying him.

we have the 4th lowest payroll in the league. Sure it will go up next season if we give Monta and Biedrins contracts, but we will still be in the lower halfof the league. Teams that win, spend money(except for Knicks). Eh, Nelson wouldn't even play him. He's over 6'10.

we have the 4th lowest payroll in the league. Sure it will go up next season if we give Monta and Biedrins contracts, but we will still be in the lower half of the league. Teams that win, spend money(except for Knicks). Eh, Nelson wouldn't even play him. He's over 6'10.
I see where you're coming from daprescription... If we have money, spend money to acquire talent... butI don't want another Dunleavy situation on our hands. Giving a damn role player 7 mil/year over a 5 year period doesn't exactly say "smartmove". IMO, we should spend that kind of money for better players.

I know we don't need scoring, but we also don't need players that complain. This is why I respect Baron and Barnes so much. Both were looking to cashin after their performance in last year's playoffs and didn't get it. What did they do? They surveyed the situation and decided it was best to just sittight and play another year to earn that contract.

Isn't what Varejao is doing why we criticized Mikael this past off-season? He wanted out because he wanted more money or playing time (one or the other...I don't remember fully). He was putting himself before the team. This past off-season, we were looking for anybody to take him off our hands... things justdidn't work out with us and Miami. Same thing with Sarunas. He was complaining for playing time. We were paying that bum 4 mil/year to ride the bench whenits obvious that he wasn't better than Monta or Baron. Same situation, putting himself before the team.

If the Cavs can trade him for anything they win that deal.

Dude is trash.
laugh.gif

Tim Thomas?
Kwame Brown?

Anyone would be an upgrade.

i would take kwame for this guy in a heartbeat. lebron would kick his$@#% up and down the court

Back
Top Bottom