Car Question

Hey guys,

My car has been driving sort of funny lately, and just recently the "check engine" light started blinking.  I always thought that meant the car would blow up or something, but my dad said it'd be fine to drive home.  I guess it's just a problem with the catalytic converter, but I don't really know what that means.  Anyway, does anybody have any insight as to whether or not it would be safe to drive about 250 miles home?  The car is a 10 year old Ford Focus with about 100k miles.  Also, is it just a myth that it's dangerous to drive with the check engine light on?  Either way, I plan on getting it checked when I go home.

Thanks!

laugh.gif

You good fam.

Get rid of that Focus asap though.

You'll be good. The cat pretty much just reduces toxic emissions by converting emissions into less toxic ones. My CEL is on because I replaced my stock Cat with a testpipe. You'll be good driving it though, just make sure that you get the Cat fixed before you get an emissions test though.

Originally Posted by Truballa72189

Hey guys,

My car has been driving sort of funny lately, and just recently the "check engine" light started blinking.  I always thought that meant the car would blow up or something, but my dad said it'd be fine to drive home.  I guess it's just a problem with the catalytic converter, but I don't really know what that means.  Anyway, does anybody have any insight as to whether or not it would be safe to drive about 250 miles home?  The car is a 10 year old [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Ford[/color] Focus with about 100k miles.  Also, is it just a myth that it's dangerous to drive with the check engine light on?  Either way, I plan on getting it checked when I go home.

Thanks!

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Basically what Flocka said. If you're for sure that the CEL is on because of the cat then you'll be good until you gotta go through emissions again. But make sure the CEL didn't come on for something else that might get worst as you drive the car.

My homeboy bout to get a new car cuz the Cat on his 01 Maxima is bad and he was quoted 1500 to fix it. smh

- You'll be fine

- Likely a cheap fix.  Just don't let the dealer do it.  Those engines are easy to work with and last long when properly maintained.

My CEL was always on until I pulled the cluster and took the light out haha No more CEL. So I'm driving with a CEL just never see it on.

If it's a clogged cat just hollow it out or it could be an o2 sensor.

Back
Top Bottom