Can I get a House music tutorial? Past and Present....

I was really digging the "I Want Your Soul" song that Raw posted up in the Daft Punk thread. I want to learn more about House music, so I turn toyou all here on NT. If possible, can you list some of your favorite all-time songs, or songs that you are currently feeling at the moment? Videos would behelpful as well.

eric prydz - proper education (this song is a 100% must have)
Axwell & Sebastian Ingrosso - Together
axwell - i found you
bob sinclair - world hold on

ill think of more and post them

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I'd recommend that site as a guide to Electronic Dance Music (EDM). A lot of the genres are really confusing if you don't know the EDM scene well.Included are a multitude of samples for each genre. Rap is on there as well. Just don't listen to too much speedcore or DnB/Jungle.

Armand Van Helden - Full Moon (Feat. Common),The Funk Phemonona,You Don't Know Me,My My My,Flowerz...

Ten City - That's The Way Love Is,Right Back To You,My Piece Of Heaven,Only Time Will Tell,Whatever Makes You Happy

Basement Jaxx - Red Alert,Rendez-Vu,Take Me Back To Your House,Romeo

Inner City - Big Fun,Good Life,Pennies From Heaven,Ain't Nobody Better

Just some examples...If u like it faster,look up songs like The Bouncer by Kicks Like A Mule,Don't Go by The Awesome Two, and Raving,I'm Raving by ShutUp and Dance

i'm not the biggest house music expert, but i do love me some house. some definite classics that havent been mentioned yet:

stardust - music sounds better with you
alan braxe and fred falke - intro
mike dunn - magik feet
the bucketheads - the bomb
eric prydz - call on me
together - so much love to give
eddie amador - house music
daddy's favourite - i feel good things for you
nightcrawlers - push the feeling on

there are definitely a TON more songs that i'm forgetting. definitely gotta check out all the armand van helden stuff that was listed earlier as well.i'm more familiar with recent artists, but the above songs should give you a pretty good start

House music
glasses.gif

I'm bumping so we can add more songs and I'll recommend some myself

Phunk a delic - Rockin
Daft Punk - short circuit
Daft Punk - fresh
smokin.gif

Fedde le grand - put your hands up for detroit
hott 22 - just friends (vocal remix)
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NolanDW

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I'd recommend that site as a guide to Electronic Dance Music (EDM). A lot of the genres are really confusing if you don't know the EDM scene well. Included are a multitude of samples for each genre. Rap is on there as well. Just don't listen to too much speedcore or DnB/Jungle.

Sorry to deviate a bit on the thread, but every once in awhile it's fun to go in there and listen to the speedcore, terrorcore and those examples. Stuffis out of control.

Thanks for the replies guys....I've put a few tracks on my iPod....keep the suggestions coming!

this stuff is kinda different, its like, deep house i think, they have a more soulful sound:
Heartbeat (Kaskade Mix) Amma
Kiss, Kiss, Kiss (Eric Kupper Club Mix Edit) Ananda Project
Music & Wine (Original Funkaphonic Vocal) Blue Six
In This Life Kaskade
Steppin Out Kaskade
Backfired Masters At Work
Do It For You (Original Vocal Mix) Miguel Migs

then beach house:
In Praise Of The Sun Chicane
Guilty (Bimbo Jones Remix) De Souza Feat Shena
Cruising (Denis the Menace Radio Edit) Nalin & Kane vs Denis the Menace ft Alexandra Prince
Rise (ROCAsound House Mix) Samantha James
Fade Solu Music

new stuff i like:
Dance (Fish & Chips Extended Remix) Chanel
Baby When The Light David Guetta
Stars (Moto Blanco Club Mix) Erika Jayne
Feel Together (Vocal Mix) Ben Macklin Feat. Tiger Lilly
Carry Me Away (Vocal Mix) Chris Lake

best producers at the moment imo are steve angello and sebastian ingrosso. just check for anything by them. their stuff ranges from progressive to electro

Sup, I am a friend of Rawsheeds
wink.gif

another GREAT thread on the history of house music

http://scratchlive.net/forum/discussion/?discussion_id=56424

The easiest way would just be to go over to www.beatport.com and check out the top selling charts

Here's the quick and dirty breakdown for the totally uninitiated. House is form of Electronic Dance Music (EDM) which is characterized by the use of a kick drum on each beat, lots of synths for melody and ambient sounds, bassline driven tracks, with varying degree of vocals. Many house tracks have a break or multipe breaks which lead to a buildup and a big drop. House music is designed to play with your emotions, to bring you up, take you down only to bring you up higher. Most house resides in the 118-134 bpm range, however, as with anything, exceptions exist. House music is also interesting in the fact that when a song is released, common practice is for many producers to take the track and remix it into how they think it should be sound. The tracks are then sold as remix packages. Imagine if Timbaland came out with The Way I are, then Diddy, Swizz Beats, and Dr. Dre all remixed it into their own sound, while keeping elements of the original track. This is common practice with house music.

There are many Genres within the House Category:

Deep House usually consists of subdued melodies and less driving beats, with a more loungy or "after hours" feel.

Tribal House's signature drum beats are as the name suggests.

Funky House is reminiscant of Disco.

Latin House contains elements of various types of latin music, complete with horns, acoustic guitar breakdowns, and spanish vocals.

Progressive House tends to be more melody driven than bassline driven.

Commercial House can either be remixes of top40 tracks or original tracks that have a similar feel to top40 music.

Fidget House is the House version of Bmore...it makes use of chopped up loops beats and vocals, with some rather glitchy sounding elements.
There are more genres out there but those are the ones I feel most comfortable giving descriptions to.

oldie but goodie:

Can somebody explain the differences in house, techno, electronic, trance etc?

Benny Benassi is a favorite of mine
pimp.gif

electronic can refer to any kind of music that isnt composed with acoustic instruments. house, techno, trance, drum and bass etc all fall under EDM (electronicdance music)

House sorta came out of the disco era. Generally speaking the focus is on the grooves, the melodic basslines... the other instruments by contrast are usuallyless complex in their arrangement.

Trance is kinda the opposite of house in a way... the basslines and drum programming are really simple and the focus is on synth melodies. it's usuallymeant to sound really uplifting, accessible to casual clubbers.... and sounds wild corny. it's pretty easy to pick trance apart from other forms of dancemusic. lots of rising arpeggiated chord progressions. most of timbalands recent tracks are basically trance songs at hip hop tempo with hip hop drums

Techno is the least melodic of these genres. the focus is on drums and percussive patterns. the synths usually arent that melodic, they are just more patternoriented. a lot of its got a really repetetive sound.

theres definitely a lot of overlap between artists and genres. for instance... daft punk makes a hybrid of house/techno. dudes like david guetta make housethat have very trancey elements. the lines between genres keep getting more and more blurred, even hip hop is blurring with edm when you look at what guys likekanye and timbo and on the other side of the coin, a lot of dance producers are borrowing tons of hip hop vocals from acts you wouldnt expect (thinknon-commercial stuff)

Originally Posted by RELISH

electronic can refer to any kind of music that isnt composed with acoustic instruments. house, techno, trance, drum and bass etc all fall under EDM (electronic dance music)

House sorta came out of the disco era. Generally speaking the focus is on the grooves, the melodic basslines... the other instruments by contrast are usually less complex in their arrangement.

Trance is kinda the opposite of house in a way... the basslines and drum programming are really simple and the focus is on synth melodies. it's usually meant to sound really uplifting, accessible to casual clubbers.... and sounds wild corny. it's pretty easy to pick trance apart from other forms of dance music. lots of rising arpeggiated chord progressions. most of timbalands recent tracks are basically trance songs at hip hop tempo with hip hop drums

Techno is the least melodic of these genres. the focus is on drums and percussive patterns. the synths usually arent that melodic, they are just more pattern oriented. a lot of its got a really repetetive sound.

theres definitely a lot of overlap between artists and genres. for instance... daft punk makes a hybrid of house/techno. dudes like david guetta make house that have very trancey elements. the lines between genres keep getting more and more blurred, even hip hop is blurring with edm when you look at what guys like kanye and timbo and on the other side of the coin, a lot of dance producers are borrowing tons of hip hop vocals from acts you wouldnt expect (think non-commercial stuff)

Good explanation. Thanks Relish.

So that would make Benny Benassi House because of the heavy importance of the bass line?

Recent releases...I'm not going to categorize because I cant...just listen to these...

MSTRKRFT's The Looks is hot... 'Bodywork' 'Work on You' 'Easy Love' and 'Paris'
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

and

Justice's is also the%+#% right now...'Phantom' 'Valentine' 'D.A.N.C.E.' 'Waters of Nazereth'
eek.gif
eek.gif
and uhh...'Let There Be Light'

BT is a great example of someone who does house and trance. He's incredible.

Drum & Bass is the easiest to pick apart from the EDM genre

the tempo is wild fast 170 BPM+

It should make you go crazy but I listen to dnb when I chill

also - for EDM stuff - it's important to look what record label the producer is signed under

Originally Posted by frank duxx

also - for EDM stuff - it's important to look what record label the producer is signed under

explain?

Originally Posted by RELISH

i'm not the biggest house music expert, but i do love me some house. some definite classics that havent been mentioned yet:

stardust - music sounds better with you
alan braxe and fred falke - intro
mike dunn - magik feet
the bucketheads - the bomb
eric prydz - call on me
together - so much love to give
eddie amador - house music
daddy's favourite - i feel good things for you
nightcrawlers - push the feeling on

there are definitely a TON more songs that i'm forgetting. definitely gotta check out all the armand van helden stuff that was listed earlier as well. i'm more familiar with recent artists, but the above songs should give you a pretty good start

Those top 2 are especially
pimp.gif
Keep the suggestions going everyone

Originally Posted by buggz05

Originally Posted by frank duxx

explain?

It's like looking at Def Jam records..and what artists are under that label
If you like a certain EDM producer; check out the label he is signedunder

Yeah, if you see Anjuna Beats (to take a hot label of the moment) then you know it's trance. Same goes with many other labels. They tend to produce thesame style of artists.

dvdjamm5150 killed it with Ten City "That's The Way Love Is" and Inner City "Big Fun" and "Good Life".

Peter Heller- Big Love(classic)
Peter Heller- Simpler
Peter Heller- Atlanta
Shapeshifter's- Lola's Theme(classic)
Michael Grey- The Weekend
Michael Grey-Borderline/club mix 2007
Michael Grey-Somewhere Beyond(classic) reminds of my trip to London
Freemasons- Love on my Mind
Crystal Waters- Gypsy Women(classic!)

I wouldve helped you out big time if Itunes didnt delete 30GB worth of music. I'm trying to look for this Ministry of Sounds house classics 3cd compilationwhich should greatly introduce you to house music.

Back
Top Bottom