Bulls offseason Thread

What I posted in the NBA Thread.
This is the problem with the Bulls for Melo that I talked about earlier. I'll provide details.

If they amnesty Boozer. Keep everyone else, they are $10mil short of a max deal for Melo.

Or they could try to unload Dunlevy/Snell & Randolph by trading their extra first round picks so they don't take back salary. Then try to sign Melo outright. Still $6mil short of a max deal. Would be about 4 year /$66mil, let me remind you Lakers offered 4 year / $95mil.

In either scenario, even the Melo S&T for the max. The Bulls lose Butler after this season because as a RFA, he'll get $10mil a year. Can't give him that, pay Melo a max deal, Rose a max deal, and then Noah's contract jumping 66% one year later. Would cripple the Bulls financially.

So let's say they pursue a S&T with the Knicks. You think Boozer & a couple firsts gets it done? When the Bulls need you to even get Melo, and there is no other way possible without you, Phil will want Taj Gibson, and maybe even Jimmy Butler to take Boozer's $16.8mil contract. From the Knicks perspective those Bulls picks do very little, and all that cap space for next year will be sketchy because there's no one else on the team. Having Shump, THJr, Butler & Gibson changes that. Makes them a prime destination for 2015.

Only way for Melo to get to the Bulls, is to gut them like he did the Knicks.

May be in the best interest to not go after him. Because no matter what route the Bulls try to go, it will make it really tough to win a title. That's even assuming Rose is 100%, and I hope he is.

i dont want melo if we lose butler or gibson, no thanks. if melo wants us he needs to take 17-19 mil a year and tell the knicks hey i'm going to the bulls or lakers. if i go to the lakers you get nothing, i go the bulls you get a young player and a few draft picks you decide

What I posted in the NBA Thread.
This is the problem with the Bulls for Melo that I talked about earlier. I'll provide details.

If they amnesty Boozer. Keep everyone else, they are $10mil short of a max deal for Melo.

Or they could try to unload Dunlevy/Snell & Randolph by trading their extra first round picks so they don't take back salary. Then try to sign Melo outright. Still $6mil short of a max deal. Would be about 4 year /$66mil, let me remind you Lakers offered 4 year / $95mil.

In either scenario, even the Melo S&T for the max. The Bulls lose Butler after this season because as a RFA, he'll get $10mil a year. Can't give him that, pay Melo a max deal, Rose a max deal, and then Noah's contract jumping 66% one year later. Would cripple the Bulls financially.

So let's say they pursue a S&T with the Knicks. You think Boozer & a couple firsts gets it done? When the Bulls need you to even get Melo, and there is no other way possible without you, Phil will want Taj Gibson, and maybe even Jimmy Butler to take Boozer's $16.8mil contract. From the Knicks perspective those Bulls picks do very little, and all that cap space for next year will be sketchy because there's no one else on the team. Having Shump, THJr, Butler & Gibson changes that. Makes them a prime destination for 2015.

Only way for Melo to get to the Bulls, is to gut them like he did the Knicks.

May be in the best interest to not go after him. Because no matter what route the Bulls try to go, it will make it really tough to win a title. That's even assuming Rose is 100%, and I hope he is.

Pretty spot on, but let's not forget we can also pull of a 3 team trade, similar to how the Knicks needed the Timberwolves involved in the original Melo trade from Denver. Just because Phil doesn't want Boozer doesn't mean another team with cap space won't take him for a year. Also, we have a protected pick from the Kings along with our own picks.

It's a longshot at the end of the day, not holding my breath at this point.

I'm thinking we end up with Pau, Jordan Crawford, maybe another SF/C, bring back DJ, to go along with Doug/Mirotic and see what happens from there.

We got too many "untouchables" on this team not to have a 2nd option.

If Butler or Taj goes, then so be it. I doubt we even have enough money to keep Butler when his rookie deal is up.

If Butler or Taj goes, then so be it. I doubt we even have enough money to keep Butler when his rookie deal is up.

Agreed..Jimmy's gonna get paid next season. Falling in love and over-valuing role players is not the way to win a 'chip especially in a 2-3 year window. Unless some of us want to be stuck in playoff purgatory.

Gotta treat them as potential assets and pull the trigger when appropriate..

coldcity coldcity ..I meant leaving and turning his back on his team isnt ***** made..waiting for Bron is a different story..wasn't even thinking bout that

***** made in every sense of the word.... "i do want the money but if bron stay ill take 1/2 of what i was gonna get to keep haning off bron's sack & play the same role as i would in houston"

Not getting my hopes up one bit. But if we gotta give up Taj to get Melo you gotta do it

Last edited:
However, I'm ok with giving up Taj for Melo if we can get a serviceable big man back in the deal ... Taj is very valuable to us because of Noah's injury problems, can't just give away Taj and have to depend on stretch 4s like Mirotic/Doug/Melo to bang down low if Noah gets hurt. Jimmy can be replaced, especially in Thibs system.

Day by day i just get angrier. **** Melo, dude the choice is simple come here and win or go back to NY or LA and be a overpaid loser, you're 30 years old and not the greatest physical specimen, definitely dont see him playing proficiently down the line like Duncan and some of the older legends. The window is closing, yes the money difference is substantial guess what you're still gonna be rich and for the billionth time all the endorsements from winning rings will more than make up for anything lost. & miss me with the kid thing as soon as LA offered that money his eyes got wide.

As soon as he sign elsewhere I cant wait for the bulls to crush him for the rest of his career

The only reason why Melo is waiting this long is either he's looking to go where LeBron goes or he's waiting for a sign and trade scenario to surface.

The only reason why Melo is waiting this long is either he's looking to go where LeBron goes or he's waiting for a sign and trade scenario to surface.

Pretty much. I ain't even mad at him taking his time nor will I be upset when he doesn't choose us.

It's all good as long as he doesn't choose the Heat.

Man hope y'all land Melo. With him Bulls are the favorites out of the East, even with Bron on the Cavs.

Agreed..Jimmy's gonna get paid next season. Falling in love and over-valuing role players is not the way to win a 'chip especially in a 2-3 year window. Unless some of us want to be stuck in playoff purgatory.

Gotta treat them as potential assets and pull the trigger when appropriate..

I agree w/ this 110%. While Jimmy is a helluva defender his offensive game leaves much to be desire and if another team wants to take him on and pay him then so be it. The only players the Bulls wouldn't trade are Rose & Noah anybody can be moved for the right price included Taj.

Back
Top Bottom