Bill Belichick without Tom Brady, still a good coach?

T

trelvis tha thrilla

So, if Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would have never united like they have, would people still be saying that he is one of the greatest coaches ever?

He did absolutely NOTHING when he coached the Browns. Do you still think he would have 3 rings and have people saying he is so great? Or do you think he wouldjust be a mediocre coach who takes a team to the playoffs occasionally?

Basically, is it his coaching or did he get lucky with having a good QB fall into his lap?

Discuss.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

He did absolutely NOTHING when he coached the Browns. Do you still think he would have 3 rings and have people saying he is so great? Or do you think he would just be a mediocre coach who takes a team to the playoffs occasionally?

I wouldn't say he did nothing, he led a terrible team to the playoffs.
Belichick's plan of not overpaying for players, having great team guy's etc. was in place before he even got Brady on the team. Not to mentionhe had a believer in him in Kraft, unlike in Cleveland. Belichick is a great scout and one of the best coaches in the game at breaking down film. Three rings?Maybe not. But definitely not a bust.

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Phil Jackson without Kobe and Jordan...still a good coach?

very nice......

I agree that was nice. Makes more sense though if it was Phil Jackson without Jordan or Shaq.

What has he accomplished with Kobe alone?

W

very nice......

I agree that was nice. Makes more sense though if it was Phil Jackson without Jordan or Shaq.

W
What has Shaq or MJ accomplished alone?

peter king's absolutely right, brady built belichick. The coach can try to motivate players, draw up schemes, all that, but it's the players who getthe job done. You put art shell on the sidelines of the 07 pats, they're still steamrolling teams, you give the 07 niners to belichick, they're stillscraping the bottom of the barrel, it's not even close.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

very nice......

W
Well I ain't saying Shaq did it alone by any means but he does have a ring without Phil. But I agree both built each other basically.

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

very nice......

W
Well I ain't saying Shaq did it alone by any means but he does have a ring without Phil. But I agree both built each other basically.

Yeah he didn't need Phil....he had D-Wade and Kobe.
Jordan had Pippen. Bird had a lot of people.

Coaches in football may make a greater impact than in other sports, but the players still execute and have the athletic and mental ability to operate when thepressure is through the roof. The relative credit lies on the players. When you've got Randy Moss, you're better than when you had Troy Brown.

they built each other, but from this point on, i think belichick is more valuable than brady cuz it;s about the sytsem. when brady gets old and retires, ithink any decent quarterback and come into this system and with the proper adjustments to fit his skill level, the pats will still be competetive.....

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

]i think belichick is more valuable than brady cuz it;s about the sytsem. when brady gets old and retires, i think any decent quarterback and come into this system and with the proper adjustments to fit his skill level, the pats will still be competetive.....

you're wrong buddy, you think it's the system that's winning games? you need a welker to quick the short routes, moss and stallworth as deepthreats, a wall at o line, and the most accurate qb in the league to run that system. replace brady with a decent qb, say... jason campbell, that team has atleast 3 losses, and no one in the world would suggest that the 07 pats are one of the greatest teams ever.
let me try to illustrate some more examples for you, marino retires from the fins, they suck, elway retires from the broncs, they suck, aikman from theboys, suckage till romo arrives, steve young from the niners, they sucked till garcia came in, garcia left they've sucked since.

I think Bill has more to do with Tom Brady's success then vice versa. I actually think you could put allot of balanced QBs and they would excel just asBrady did. The only real outstanding attribute that Brady has over allot of QB's is his calmness and secret lust for the spotlight.

^what in the world would make you come to that conclusion tho? Lets remember, the Patroits were BELOW .500 team before Brady was inserted into the lineup. Andthat was with a Drew Bledsoe who was still a very good QB at the time...For the majority of his career, he's played with below average WR's and stillhad a 4,000 yard seasons. He was given real weapons this year and look what happened....

Charlie Weis was considered the genius behind Brady's success at one time, the media speculated that when he left for Notre Dame, he was gonna struggle.Hmmm....

its him & Manning as a toss up, then its big drop to that 3 spot.

In the NFL as we know its always about the QB play. You have a top QB then theres a good chance you have a top team....look at the Colts, Pats, Cowboys,Packers this year. Look at what signing Brees did for the Saints last year. Etc.

41-57. That was Bill Belichick's career record before Tom Brady's first start.

isn't he more famous for his defensive coaching? he did coach lawrence taylor. i think you would probably have to look at his defensiverecord. it was charlie weiss who was calling all the offensive plays when they were on the 'ship run

I just dont think we would be talking about Belichick like we are if Tom Brady never showed up.

And to the people that say you could put a regular balanced QB in Brady's spot, I think yall are completely wrong.

Like dude said up there, throw Jason Campbell, Drew Breese, John Kitna or someone like that in there and the Patriots arent still undefeated.

Also, this isnt the best team ever, 92-93 Cowboys would run these cats......

Jason Campbell makes too many poor decision and John Kita holds on to the ball too long. The reason they didn't do well with the Bledsoe is because he hascement blocks attached to his feet.

Jason Campbell makes too many poor decision and John Kita holds on to the ball too long. The reason they didn't do well with the Bledsoe is because he has cement blocks attached to his feet.
As Tony Kornheiser once said "he (Drew Bledsoe) is as immobile as the actual Statue of Liberty"
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom