best four franchises in nba history

with the lakers win last night, and the celtics good chance of going to the finals, i would say that the four all-time greatest franchises in nba history willbe forever the celtics, lakers, bulls and spurs. in the last 58 years, these teams have one a total of 39 out of the 58 nba championships. and robert horry hasplayed on two of these teams

Celtics
Lakers
_________
_________

You can put arguments in for the Knicks, Sixers, Bulls, Pistons and Spurs.

Bulls and Spurs get the last 2 spots if you go on most Championships I guess.

Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Pistons

Not sure how you can but the Spurs up there when their championship teams would get crushed by past Laker, Celtics, Bulls, and Pistons championship teams. Plusthe Spurs have never really beat any great teams on the way to the finals or in the finals besides the Lakers and have only be good during this decade. TheCeltics and Lakers have been good every decade. The Pistons two decades. And the Bulls just the 90's but they won 6 out of 10 Championships in that era.

The Showtime Lakers went through the 80's Celtics, 76ers, Suns, Spurs etc... The Celtics went through the Showtime Lakers, Dr. J and Moses 76ers,Nique's Hawks, Bernard Kings Knicks, Bad Boy Pistons, etc...

The Bulls went through Magic's fading Lakers, Drexler and the Blazers, Barkely/KJ and the Suns, GP and Kemp's Sonics, young Shaq and Penny's Magic,Reggie Millers Pacers, Ewing's Knicks, Stockton and Malone Jazz, etc...

Pistons went through the Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, Sidney Moncrief's Bucks, Barkley's 76ers, Bernard King's Knicks,and The Blazers. Then the new era Pistons went through the Lakers with 4 Hall Of Famers.

The Spurs in a lock out year went through the young Lakers, The Blazers with Rasheed, and the 8th seeded Knicks minus Patrick Ewing.

02-03 Championship Run they beat the Marbury lead Suns, the Shaq and Kobe Lakers, The old Big 3 Mavs, and beat the J Kidd Nets in 6 games.

In the 04-05 Run they smashed the Nuggets, the Ray Allen/Rashard Lewis Sonics in 6 games, the Steve Nash Suns, then beat the new era Pistons in 7 games.

In the 06-07 Run the Spurs once again beat the Nuggets this time Iverson was on the team, they beat the Suns, they then smashed the Boozer/Williams Jazz in 5games, and swept the Cavs who are probably the worst team to ever make it to the NBA finals.

The Spurs have did a great thing in this era but that isn't enough for them to be in the top 4 franchises of all-time.

Originally Posted by presequel

Celtics
Lakers
_________
_________

You can put arguments in for the Knicks, Sixers, Bulls, Pistons and Spurs.

Bulls and Spurs get the last 2 spots if you go on most Championships I guess.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
SMH I feel ashamed to be a knicks fan right now..i don't know If i want putthem in the same category as the lakers and celtics

Bulls are not above the Lakers.

They had the Jordan era and they have never made an NBA Finals outside of that era.

Other than the Lakers and Celtics, aren't the Pistons the only franchise to win a championship on multiple occasions.. I mean, like with a brand new team..Both the Bulls and the Spurs won more championships, but they had the same player/s as the backbone of those championships.

Outside of 1 decade with MJ, the Bulls have not even been a good, let alone great team.

If this list is about the best franchises, and not the best teams, then I'm not sure how you can include the Bulls.

Originally Posted by Krisp Kicks

Outside of 1 decade with MJ, the Bulls have not even been a good, let alone great team.

If this list is about the best franchises, and not the best teams, then I'm not sure how you can include the Bulls.

Exactly. The Lakers have been great for a long time - the Celtics have had at least 2 great eras.
As much as I was a big fan of the Bulls in the90's I don't think they're a great franchise. They just had a great decade.

if not the bulls then who though? the spurs have only been good recently.. the pistons were good for an era too..

the 70's bulls with sloan, van lier and love were better than the celtics have been the last 10-12 years before they got their big 3... i think they'dbelong up there just for dominating the better half of arguably the best decade the nba has ever had.

produced by Stephen J. Cannell

eek.gif
laugh.gif

Furnishing TV gold such as "Hardcastle & McCormick" and "The A-Team" (and lesser hits "Silk Stalkings" and "Renegade"). Wow, do I remember this guy's closing credit of himself at the typewriter. Classic.

Anyway, I think it's got to be Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Knicks.

The idea is that championships can't necessarily be the most weighted factor. These franchises are the NBA's flagships and have been for decades (regardless of success). Also, they're known the world over; that name recognition counts. They each have a wealth of history, to varying degrees but history no less. Then each of them have easily had some of the greatest players ever play for them. Then take into account their title wins.

Pistons are up there but not really top 4 based on the above qualities.

I have no idea why everyone is mentioning the Knicks. Honestly, they are NOWHERE near the Pistons in terms of a winning tradition or just the overall qualityof the franchise.

Lakers
Celtics
Bulls
Pistons

why is everyone putting the celtics over the lakers?
the lakers is the best franchise in NBA history...
consistent with their winning .. the last time i checked.. the celtics havent won a chip in more than a decade...

I have no idea why everyone is mentioning the Knicks.
Because it's NY and everyone always has to assume they get the benefit of the doubt.

The Spurs to me are intriguing now that they got four chips. I admit you can't always JUST use rings as your sole argument, but S.A. now has gone 18 of thepast 19 seasons with a .573 winning percentage or higher. I mean that's just stupid. They've only "technically" been in the league thoughsince 76-77 though so who knows.

Since the 1979-1980 season, when Magic was a rookie drafted, the Lakers have missed the playoffs just twice, won eight championships, got to the finalsfourteen times and have produced four different MVPs. That means that, since the beginning of the 1980's, we win a chip about every three and half yearsand get out of the West about every two and half years.

I feel that the bulls are highly overrated. Really outside jordan, what did they ever have? its no where near what the celtics, lakers have done

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Pistons

Not sure how you can but the Spurs up there when their championship teams would get crushed by past Laker, Celtics, Bulls, and Pistons championship teams. Plus the Spurs have never really beat any great teams on the way to the finals or in the finals besides the Lakers and have only be good during this decade. The Celtics and Lakers have been good every decade. The Pistons two decades. And the Bulls just the 90's but they won 6 out of 10 Championships in that era.

The Showtime Lakers went through the 80's Celtics, 76ers, Suns, Spurs etc... The Celtics went through the Showtime Lakers, Dr. J and Moses 76ers, Nique's Hawks, Bernard Kings Knicks, Bad Boy Pistons, etc...

The Bulls went through Magic's fading Lakers, Drexler and the Blazers, Barkely/KJ and the Suns, GP and Kemp's Sonics, young Shaq and Penny's Magic, Reggie Millers Pacers, Ewing's Knicks, Stockton and Malone Jazz, etc...

Pistons went through the Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, Sidney Moncrief's Bucks, Barkley's 76ers, Bernard King's Knicks, and The Blazers. Then the new era Pistons went through the Lakers with 4 Hall Of Famers.

The Spurs in a lock out year went through the young Lakers, The Blazers with Rasheed, and the 8th seeded Knicks minus Patrick Ewing.

02-03 Championship Run they beat the Marbury lead Suns, the Shaq and Kobe Lakers, The old Big 3 Mavs, and beat the J Kidd Nets in 6 games.

In the 04-05 Run they smashed the Nuggets, the Ray Allen/Rashard Lewis Sonics in 6 games, the Steve Nash Suns, then beat the new era Pistons in 7 games.

In the 06-07 Run the Spurs once again beat the Nuggets this time Iverson was on the team, they beat the Suns, they then smashed the Boozer/Williams Jazz in 5 games, and swept the Cavs who are probably the worst team to ever make it to the NBA finals.

The Spurs have did a great thing in this era but that isn't enough for them to be in the top 4 franchises of all-time.

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying, but as a Laker fan, I can't let the statement I highlighted slide. The Pistons beat a Lakerteam without Magic Johnson or Byron Scott, so they didn't really go through the Showtime Lakers. I personally think that both the Bad Boy Pistons and thecurrent Pistons are a bit overrated. Nevertheless, I probably still would put the Pistons ahead of the Spurs in terms of all time great franchises.

Back
Top Bottom