Backbacking in Europe - recommendations / experiences?

So I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks with couple guys and girls. I'm flying into Madrid, then going through Barcelona, Italy, Prague, Germany, Amsterdam, London. We may skip over to Greece and cancel one other destination.

We have some hostels booked in various large cities but much will be unplanned.

Anyone care to share notable experiences, advice, thing to do / not do, things to look out for?

What type of clothes to bring, clothes needed for clubs etc?

I have my backpack (50L Osprey), will have a good travel wallet around neck/ camera.

Just looking for advice really. I will be going june 13 through July 7.

Thanks!

don't end up here

hostel2.jpg

Whatever you do, don't go to Slovakia. At least, if there's any lesson to be learned from Hostel, it's that. Stay in W. Europe OP. Eastern europe scares the hell out of me.

In London make sure you hit Fabric, Matter, Ministry of Sound. Go to Nandos too if they don't have that in the states, they serve really nice Portuguese chicken.

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

Originally Posted by Nako XL

don't end up here

hostel2.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I was about to post this hostel ftl dont do it end up in there and its all over my man
roll.gif
roll.gif
Beat me to it
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

But honestly though, I'm sure +!+$ like this happens all the time in those kinds of places... This would be my worst nightmare
nerd.gif

A lot of destinations. Only 3 weeks.

I did 7 countries in 24 days last summer and I felt rushed. About a week in I wanted to just take a day to lounge around and rest but I also didn't want to waste a day because I already had reservations for hotels/hostels/transportation.

That's just my advice. Really explore and dive into the city/country instead of just seeing cathedrals/famous monuments.

I hope you like House music! I lived in Copenhagen for five months and travelled a ton, here are my thoughts on the cities you listed:

Prague - Incredible city...cheap, fun, everyone is friendly. You should definitely go to the underground bar - I forget the name of it but it is like 6 caverns each with its own bar...famous spot...if you want to
pimp.gif
go to a bar called The Chateau and you can get green from a guy outside the bathroom. Then, go down to the basement where it's an awesome dance club with smoke machines...you can blaze down there and enjoy the music and women. Also hit up a steakhouse called Belle Epoque - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Cheap and delicious.

Germany - I did Berlin and Munich. Didn't love Berlin, but the Brandenburg gate and Berlin wall were pretty cool. Munich is an awesome city, do the touristy stuff and see the river surfers, go to the beer gardens and get the giant pork leg, and of course don't miss Hofbrauhaus Munchen

Amsterdam - Obviously you will get blazed out of your mind. That weekend was a blur but the Museum of Modern Art was really cool. Rent bikes.

The one city in Europe that is conspicuously absent from your list is Paris. Dunno your reason for not going but it was a beautiful city, I'd highly recommend it.

In terms of general recommendations -
Hostelworld.com is your friend
Bring a pair of jeans, a nice button down shirt and some dark shoes and you'll get into any club. Also speak loudly and in English, you want the guys at the door to know you are tourists looking to spend money (even if you are cheap as hell)
Be alert in the train stations, etc
Have fun, !*!! some fine foreign chicks, and post the pics on NT

Originally Posted by razzle dazzle

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

Originally Posted by Nako XL

don't end up here

hostel2.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I was about to post this hostel ftl dont do it end up in there and its all over my man
roll.gif
roll.gif
Beat me to it
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

But honestly though, I'm sure +!+$ like this happens all the time in those kinds of places... This would be my worst nightmare
nerd.gif
No lie, hostel has kept me from going to Europe
frown.gif

So I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks with couple guys and girls. I'm flying into Madrid, then going through Barcelona, Italy, Prague, Germany, Amsterdam, London. We may skip over to Greece and cancel one other destination.

We have some hostels booked in various large cities but much will be unplanned.

Anyone care to share notable experiences, advice, thing to do / not do, things to look out for?

What type of clothes to bring, clothes needed for clubs etc?

I have my backpack (50L Osprey), will have a good travel wallet around neck/ camera.

Just looking for advice really. I will be going june 13 through July 7.

Thanks!

Sup man, I am in currently in Europe right now for my semester study abroad...(England to be specific). I've done a lot of traveling here. Went to Stockholm Berlin Budapest Milan Genoa Rome Sevilla Barcelona Madrid (in that order) for a month for my spring break. I went to Prague, Amsterdam, Edinburgh before that. Weather really varies, England will always be cold as well as Amsterdam...but Italy and Spain were both very nice when I was there. hostelworld.com helps greatly for hostels, I can even recommend a lot of other nice hostels if you want and travel plans. I planned everything for myself and two others basically so I can give you all the tips you need...PM me/gimme your e-mail if you have specific questions there is just so much I could say...

Madrid -- 7 floor club called Kapital, good on weekends, 15 Euro cover though. I still have a metro map with all of the good spots if you wanna know...
Barcelona-- I stayed at this one hostel that basically went out all of the time...lotta clubs by the beach. Also famous shots bar named Chupitos, tell the girls to get the Monica Lewinsky!
Italy--depends where you go, Milan is nice but very simple and will not take long, no more than a day. Rome is fun to be touristy, will be so many pickpockets though. And eat gelato. Apertivo is good too--buffet basically when you order a drink during happy hour (drink will be like 8 euros though)
Prague--real cheap. Eat the sausages there. Avoid restaurants near the Old Town...real pretty.
Germany--Berlin was my favorite favorite city, I for real wanna live there...do more than the monuments and stuff, go visit the alternative side, particularly Kreuzberg. Take the Alternative Tour, it is free (tips based).
Amsterdam--good if you smoke up. but I don't smoke. Red light district is fun...it's more of an amusement than a serious sleazefest
London--I've heard a lot to do! I'm heading there myself in a week. The pound is expensive though.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Whatever you do, don't go to Slovakia. At least, if there's any lesson to be learned from Hostel, it's that. Stay in W. Europe OP. Eastern europe scares the hell out of me.

Yea its hard here for english speaking folks, most of here speaks russian. But good luck OP and west Europe is more fun.

Remember to have enough time for train changes. Trains in Spain, Italy and France are constantly late or breaking down. Try not to stress it (I did
laugh.gif
). Jeans or other long pants to clubs no matter how hot it is. Only brits wear shorts
laugh.gif

Imma write a little bit more later on.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

What the $*@% is backbacking?
Things douchers do after they graduate college to "find themselves..."

Everybody else just has to go straight to work after school.

....I'm salty
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom