anyone not go to college and still made it successful?

im having a tough time affording school forcing me to basically be out of school and now in debt from my school loans but i havent even finished. i cant takeany loans and now im forced to work and pay these credit and loans off. till after i can go to school mayb things will be easier by then.. im just curiousbecause i never been the college type did anyone make it without college? and what is your current salary and profession. cliffnotes -- wondering if anyonemade it without college and whats there salary.. post job and salary

try going to community college its more laid back and cheaper i pay maybe 1000 a semester and i make around 2000 a month and still stay at home so its notreally that hard to pay for community college......and as far as "making it" i think it all depends on what profession you take up.......and like iveread on here before there is no need to rush to finish school its not a race take your time

cool thanks for the tips.. im basically so in debt i cant even afford community college right now.. but that is where i intend to go back and get back on myfeet.. but i guess your right there is no rush anyway...

cool thanks for the tips.. im basically so in debt i cant even afford community college right now.. but that is where i intend to go back and get back on myfeet.. but i guess your right there is no rush anyway...

I have no examples for you, but before you ask about others remember that the majority of them happened to get to where they are at with time and at a timebefore our current economy which has been a harsh reality on many. Best thing you cna do is take some time to work and replan. After you thought everything outmaybe you should start at a CC or a school you can afford and get your grades up so that you can reapply to your current school in the future and possibly getsome scholarships.

my dad didn't graduate until 2000...got a bachelors in 03...

he joined the military tho...

My brother didn't even finish high school and he made it out pretty good.. He works with his hands (no ayo), makes 80k + a year.

Perhaps you could explore the idea of working offshore--it would pay you well for the time you're gone, and you could get another job when you're backon land.

I know loads of people who never graduated college and are still doing it

My dad never finished high school, and is making money.
My old boss (sushi chef) owns like 4 houses, multiple cars, motorcycles, own company. and he barely finished high school.

And my favorite :-D Kanye west.. hes a college drop out =)

the people that make it with a HS diploma are people that have good networks that get them into companies, or they have a family business they can work in thatpays well. or something similar.

but for 98% of people, the average joes and janes don't have those connections, even if they do they often won't be paying that great. College isessential in the 21st century for the average joe if you want to make more than 30K a year, own a house, etc.

A bachelors degree is pretty much the new HS diploma.

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

My old boss (sushi chef) owns like 4 houses, multiple cars, motorcycles, own company. and he barely finished high school.

although I agree there are people that have made it without an education but the majority that didn't finish high school or college end upworking a dead end job.

Join a branch of the Armed Forces, even if short term or just reserves

Take my room mate for example, he went into the Army with a short term (5yrs) contract into Air Traffic Control as his m.o.s, he did get deployed (but he wasat Camp Victory in Iraq $%++$@+%+!@!, emailing me on myspace everyday), but he also got a very nice deployment bonus, housing paid, and a good check as well.He's out now and was applying for airport jobs, already had offers from major international airports like Puerto Rico, Bosnia, Kuwait, but finally accepteda position at Chicago O'Hare Airport that's going to start him at over 120k. He still has the option to go back to school if he wants, but I don'tsee why he would even bother at this point.

UPDATE----- my loan was a defer loan that waited til graduation but since i cant afford school and the loan wasnt to pay off the school full ... im stuck nowout of school and paying that loan back alot earlier than planned. financial aid isnt working because as much as i argue they claim my step father and i madetoo much to get even half of my tuition.. but if they only knew how i get no help from my crib because its hard enough to maintain the mortgage. $$+#@ @%$%%*up but ima take time off and get my feet on track

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

omg look at that avy

You have to remember that back in the day you did need a degree to get a good job. And if you have been with a company for 10 or 20 years the i would hope youare successful.
Nowadays you need a degree to make like 13 bucks and hour you know.

My girls cousin bearly graduated high school and started working while in high school for an Air Conditioning company and now he makes like 40 bucks and hour +

Edit: he did graduate he got a GED!

Originally Posted by j0hnyBlaZe

UPDATE----- my loan was a defer loan that waited til graduation but since i cant afford school and the loan wasnt to pay off the school full ... im stuck now out of school and paying that loan back alot earlier than planned. financial aid isnt working because as much as i argue they claim my step father and i made too much to get even half of my tuition.. but if they only knew how i get no help from my crib because its hard enough to maintain the mortgage. $$+#@ @%$%%* up but ima take time off and get my feet on track
you need to claim yourself as independent then...that way they will only take into account your salary...and you'll surely be able to getfinancial help.

but to your OG question...of course you can be successful even without college...but just remember, with a college degree, you can do anything that peoplewithout a degree have plus what people with a degree can do.

Originally Posted by illmatickal

Originally Posted by JUNIOR STRIKES

barely graduated high school, now im a building manager for SEIU

1199 on 42nd st?
nope, im not saying
wink.gif

Try your best at a local CC. They are cheap and can offer a good alternative to an expensive school. I only took one college course after HS because offinacial obligations I had to get full time gig. make about 60k a year at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom