Anyone ever take J's to a shoe repair shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are dozens of DIYS repair/maintenance threads, but has anyone ever taken their J's to a shoe repair shop for cleaning/repair? I'm wondering if these shops have any way of de-yellowing white patent leather (ie Columbia XI's) or any other "trade secrets" to fix other problems plaguing us Jordan collectors.

I have tried to take so many different J's to several different shoe repair stores and every single place tells me the exact same thing no matter what. "Oh there's nothing we can do to this shoe", "Oh, well there isn't much we can do" "okay well I can't really do much for these". All they do is fix and repair dress shoes and they never know what to do involving Nikes and Jordans.

Never. I just wear them until they have no life left in them.
-Drew

Yeah, a cobbler really does more re-heeling and dress shoe repair.

The only way to de-yellow patent is to take it off and replace it. Doubt you wanna do that, tho. Just enjoy it, most people see yellowing as a badge of honor.

I have several Jordans that are deadstocked and yellowing. I freakin hate it.

Check out renegade restorations. He specializes in sneaker restoration.He mayb able to help.

I have a shoe repair shop near me. I'm very hesitant to go in though, because I hear the owner is an a**hole. Seems like they specialize in repairing expensive dress shoes anyway. But for anybody who lives here in the bay area, the store's name is The Shoe Doctor.

I took a pair of 2001 black/red 1s to have the sole glued back on. They barely spoke English, but they didn't do a terrible job. Not sure how long they'll last though.

Originally Posted by Vuey

Check out renegade restorations. He specializes in sneaker restoration.He mayb able to help.

Do you know if they can restore yellowed patent leather? Their pics on their FB page seem pretty legit

why don't you check your FB page...see if theirs a sneaker group around your area. if there is, im pretty sure you can find someone on there that will restore kicks plus its local. If not, renegade is the way to go, i have never sent in shoes to them or tried them before but the before and after pics they post on FB looks nice. message the guy...he usually answer your questions.

I did last week, got the midsole on some OG blk/red XIIIs re-glued. He said he had some trouble getting them to stick, but they came out fine, $15

So do you guys think there's a shoe repair shop that can re-glue the outsoles of cool grey 9's?

Originally Posted by erik328i

Yeah, a cobbler really does more re-heeling and dress shoe repair.

The only way to de-yellow patent is to take it off and replace it. Doubt you wanna do that, tho. Just enjoy it, most people see yellowing as a badge of honor.

I have several Jordans that are deadstocked and yellowing. I freakin hate it.

now that you mentioned it, I dont see why more people just dont cover the yellowing on white patent leather with newer patent leather applied on top. for instance, on my 2000 space jams, a tiny section of it bubbled up due to me using retrobrite. now what I did was just scraped the tiny section with a razor blade and purchased a swatch of black patent leather. if my calculations are correct, ill be able to scrape the backing off of the new swatch to get it thin and then just glue it on top of the section where the old patent used to be.

i've taken them to this place korea, but all they do is wash them. They get all wrinkly afterward

I used to bring my kicks to several
Local shoe repair shops but they mostly
Use glues that are not good enough to
Repair midsole or outsole separations,
Because they usually repair regular
Leather shoes and not sport shoes
With PU or phylon midsoles.
also, one shop even left glue stains
On my jordans on the upper and
Made a scratch on the midsole paint.
In other words, better buy some good
Strong glue made for shoe repair,
To glue flexible marerials and repair them
By yourself.

Anyone here ever took a pair of 6s from 2000 (Infrared, Olympics) to get restored because the paint chipped or sole seperation?

Originally Posted by Vaddy

Anyone here ever took a pair of 6s from 2000 (Infrared, Olympics) to get restored because the paint chipped or sole seperation?
search at youtube, there is an Asian-American who posts very detailed and well explained videos about shoe restoration and sole separation fixes! ^^

Originally Posted by jumpman cbt2

search at youtube, there is an Asian-American who posts very detailed and well explained videos about shoe restoration and sole separation fixes! ^^
Why was there a need to say the guys race? Does it validate what was said? Just Askin!!!!

I know my friend went once to get this shoe to get re-glued.. you gotta be careful about what you let them do.

It worked out okay though.

I think some of them actually know what they're talking about..

I remember being at the State Fair one day years ago when the Flip 3s came out.. I was wearing them around and me and my friends went into the expo building. Some guy was in there with a whole booth set up for shoe cleaners and he recognized my shoes immediately and yelled at me to get my attention.

Started saying stuff like "You need special cleaner for that bro and we got it. Ain't gonna find it anywhere else." I didn't believe that he knew what he was talking about until I saw his display of Black Patent 1s and OG KO 1s sitting with no laces displayed on a rack. SQUEAKY CLEAN AND SHINY. I talked to him and he talked to me about how elephant print needs to be cleaned correctly otherwise it'll begin to wear out.. the same goes for nubuck. All of you probably know this already but I was a youngin back then so it was news to me.

He even offered to clean my shoes of anything I wanted for free as long as I bought a cleaner from him.. sadly I didn't buy from him, but it just goes to show that some of these shoe cleaners are little restoration gems.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

Originally Posted by jumpman cbt2

Why was there a need to say the guys race? Does it validate what was said? Just Askin!!!!

roll.gif
 dude was trying to be politically correct, but thanks for the answer I think he is talking about the guy from restoremysneakers with the special sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom