Any Chess Players on NT?

Been playing two or three games a day on chess.com
Wondering if any of you enjoy the game as well.

If you have a chess.com account and want to play add me:

ilikeboomers

Yessir.. Chess.com is cruncheetacos

Chess w friends is piff daddy...Whoops ...Chess.com is Aemilius Bautista

Played in middle school. My middle school has been National Champions for a number of years (IS318 in Brooklyn), not sure if they still winning championships though.
Stopped playing though. My rating was like ~1800 before leaving middle school.

played in middle school. our math/science teacher got us into it. played in a handful of tournaments. uscf rating around 1400. wouldnt mind brushing up and play.

I used to play a bit, but my brother would kick my *** so I haven't played in a while
laugh.gif

What are some good sites to check out to learn how to play chess?

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

always wanted to learn but never follow through on it..

Same here, but I'm ready to quit talking and learn. So where are the teachers??
laugh.gif

I thought I was pretty decent then lost to the same guy 2 times in 1 minute, I knew I was rusty haven't played in years but
30t6p3b.gif

I know how to play. I'm just not that good. I know players who literally see the board 20 moves ahead at a time. When I see that all the time I just feel like, what's the point. I rather play a mindless game like COD lollll.

I just spent the past 2 hours playing on chess.com because I saw this post. Very nice way to kill time when you can't sleep.

Yes, I love a game of Chess -nice to see some NTers appreciate it as well in these days of internet and console gaming.

I'll be checking out that Chess.com site.

Great game. You really can see someone's play style and a glimpse into their thoughts when you play.

hmm...

need to brush off the ol chess board...

does it really make you smarter??

cuz I used to go hamb on it and didn't feel smarter..

Originally Posted by ricky409

hmm...

Depends.

If you play each move with a strategy and actively try and anticipate moves, you will become better at multi-tasking, prediction and strategy. If you just play each move randomly, then you won't get any better. It's like reading a textbook. Read it to try and learn something and you will. If you just mindlessly flip through the pages, you won't learn anything.

Try playing a chess game with a time limit. Each side has 5 seconds to make a move. Your decision making skills during stressful situations and confidence will rise.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by ricky409

hmm...

Depends.

If you play each move with a strategy and actively try and anticipate moves, you will become better at multi-tasking, prediction and strategy. If you just play each move randomly, then you won't get any better. It's like reading a textbook. Read it to try and learn something and you will. If you just mindlessly flip through the pages, you won't learn anything.

Try playing a chess game with a time limit. Each side has 5 seconds to make a move. Your decision making skills during stressful situations and confidence will rise.
Very true although too much speed chess can litter your real chess with shallow moves and petty mistakes.

If you don't use the analysis board to plot out your  moves and you just do it in your head, the game works wonders on your visualization skills and ability to plan ahead. Also don't think just because you can kick @@$ online means your any good in person. Real chess is a dying art because the angle is different, your battling external factors such as the weather and crap talking and you can read your opponent to see what he's planning, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by Dalek

Real chess is a dying art because the angle is different, your battling external factors such as the weather and crap talking and you can read your opponent to see what he's planning, and vice versa.
My dude, it's a chess game. In any serious competition, the rooms are kept quiet. Also, weather makes no difference at all since your in a building to play the game. When I went to Nationals in 7th grade, there was a storm but it was hardly audible in the room.

Back
Top Bottom