Air Jordan Exhibit Opens at Basketball Hall of Fame

Source: http://www.masslive.com/basketball-...f/2009/08/michael_jordan_exhibit_opens_a.html

Michael Jordan exhibit opens at Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame

large_SPT%20jordan%203.jpg

(Here is a collection of Air Jordans as part of the new Michael Jordan exhibit at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.)

By RON CHIMELIS
[email protected]

SPRINGFIELD - Enshirnement is more than a month away, but Michael Jordan's presence is already being felt at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

A Jordan exhibit, celebrating the superstar's career and impact on the sport, will open Sunday at the museum.

Featuring artifacts, a timeline and a movie to capture the essence of Jordan's career, the showcase will serve as a lead-up to his enshrinement in Springfield Sept. 11.

"It's just a great project," said Matt L. Zeysing, the Hall of Fame historian and archivist.

"The exhibit highlights Michael's entire career, not just with the Chicago Bulls but in college at North Carolina, and with the U.S. Olympic Dream Team (in 1992).

"Michael's appeal had crossover popularity. A young kid, living in the city, would grow up and love Michael Jordan, but the mother of that kid would love him, too."

The hall's five-member Class of 2009 will include NBA greats Jordan, David Robinson and John Stockton, and coaches Jerry Sloan and C. Vivian Stringer.

small_SPT%20jordan%202.jpg

(This is a baseball glove from Michael Jordan's playing days with the Birmingham Barons.)

The presence of Jordan, widely considered the greatest player in basketball history, has given global significance to the event. It comes as the Hall of Fame marks the 50th year since the induction of its first class in 1959.

As a physical presence, the Hall of Fame itself did not exist until 1968, when its first building opened on the Springfield College campus.

"For nine years, the hall was a 'virtual' experience before that term was in vogue," Hall of Fame president and chief executive officer John L. Doleva said.

A commemorative souvenir book, marking the anniversary, will become available for purchase during Enshrinement Weekend.

The Jordan exhibit will remain at the hall for several months after enshrinement, but Doleva is encouraging people to visit the display during the exciting period leading up to Jordan's induction.

"We have taken a relatively unproductive area of the hall, and made it a key area," Doleva said.

"This was also made possible by Jordan Brand, a premium division of Nike, which invested approximately $250,000 into this project.

"They are doing this to assist the Hall of Fame, but mostly to honor Michael.

"Nike's comment was that it does not need to market Michael Jordan any more. This is being done as part of the (induction) celebration."

The Hall of Fame has renovated nearly 6,000 square feet to accommodate 2009 Enshrinement Weekend features, notably the Jordan display and a photo exhibit by Andrew D. Bernstein, the official photographer of the NBA Finals.

The photo exhibit will open later in August.

large_SPT%20jordan%204.jpg

(Here is a mural listing the highlights of Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame career.)

The Jordan display will include a 40-foot timeline, and examples Jordan's line of basketball footwear.

Zeysing said the Jordan sneakers revolutionized sports footwear, creating a product that was not only useful in sports, but fashionable in everyday culture.

Also available for viewing with be Jordan jerseys from throughout his career with the Bulls, Washington Wizards and Olympic team, and rings from all six NBA titles the Bulls won from 1991-98.

A four-minute movie will be shown continuously. Narrated by Jordan himself, the film shows highlights of his basketball career as well as other aspects of his legacy, including his brief attempt to play pro baseball in the mid-1990s.

In addition to the new exhibit, Zeysing said, the Hall of Fame has updated and improved existing displays related to the superstar's career, including its coaches' gallery.

Jordan's college coach at North Carolina was Dean Smith. He played for Phil Jackson with the Bulls.

Both coaches are enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

There will be no charge to view the exhibit, beyond the normal Hall of Fame admission.

Now, that's fresh!

They may as well open a whole wing dedicated to the man!

Originally Posted by ijapino

Now, that's fresh!

QFT loving it
pimp.gif

Edit: steez links not working for me right now

Originally Posted by jordanpheen

ijapino wrote:

Now, that's fresh!

QFT loving it
pimp.gif

Edit: steez links not working for me right now

Yeah, me either. It links back to this thread for me too but it wasn't anywhere in my post. Gonna have to copy/paste the link..

i deffinitly am making the trip up for the induction dont care how many classes i miss got to do it

^^ better bring some ends cuz it's $1k for vip seating and $350 for balcony. at least it was the last time i checked.

Back
Top Bottom