Advance statistics in basketball Vol. Keep an open mind

I've become interested in the use of advance statistics in basketball lately thanks to it's growing popularity. I know it's not the end-all be-all, but it does seem very useful.
PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
I have a novice understanding of most of these stats, so I'm curious what the "experts" have to say about these stats. What should I be looking for, keep in mind, etc?

I've become interested in the use of advance statistics in basketball lately thanks to it's growing popularity. I know it's not the end-all be-all, but it does seem very useful.
PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
I have a novice understanding of most of these stats, so I'm curious what the "experts" have to say about these stats. What should I be looking for, keep in mind, etc?

i'm a stat major, and these statistics are pretty basic

for the most part, they're just a weighted/ combination of your more basic stats you see on the stat sheet

theyre a lot more useful / descriptive if you're really trying to analyze a team

i'm a stat major, and these statistics are pretty basic

for the most part, they're just a weighted/ combination of your more basic stats you see on the stat sheet

theyre a lot more useful / descriptive if you're really trying to analyze a team

inb4 OKB... shoot too late 
laugh.gif

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/panels-2/2010-2/basketball-analytics/

If you're really serious (I'm not): 

51IfMtcL9PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 1574886878

I would love to see what the Rockets statisticians value and what advanced metrics they actually use. That binder of info that Battier had on Kobe was ridiculous.

I would love to see what the Rockets statisticians value and what advanced metrics they actually use. That binder of info that Battier had on Kobe was ridiculous.

the thing is, in the end these stats give you an idea of some aspect of your team

i remember someone posting an article about crooked stats keepers,
so for a given game, it's not always reliable

and unlike an experiment, in sports there's a lot of uncontrollable factors, clutch situations / injuries / psyche issues

the thing is, in the end these stats give you an idea of some aspect of your team

i remember someone posting an article about crooked stats keepers,
so for a given game, it's not always reliable

and unlike an experiment, in sports there's a lot of uncontrollable factors, clutch situations / injuries / psyche issues

Originally Posted by Viewtiful Mik3

This is a bad thing. I don wan know no aspects!

Originally Posted by Viewtiful Mik3

This is a bad thing. I don wan know no aspects!

Back
Top Bottom