A 13 year old kid just verbally commited to USC....Vol. whats the point

David Sills, a 13-year-old quarterback from Bear, Del., has committed to play at USC, according to his private quarterback coach, Steve Clarkson.

ESPN.com's Shelley Smith reported that Sills, a seventh-grader, has verbally accepted a scholarship offer from Trojans coach Lane Kiffin. Sills plays at Red Lion Christian Academy. His coach, Eric Day, confirmed the decision in the Delaware News Journal.

"I'm very excited, but I was very, very nervous," Sills said in the News Journal report. "It was very cool, but my heart was beating so fast and I was scared. But after it was over, I was so excited and pumped."

Sills' team was in the Los Angeles area to play a couple of games last November.

The monitoring of players as young as Sills is relatively new to college football, but basketball coaches have been doing it for years. Two years ago, Washington coach Ty Willingham admitted he had offered a scholarship to receiver Kasen Williams, a high school freshman.

if some one could come up with one good valid point on this i would be very surprised...parents milking the whole thing
smh.gif

Pics? Hopefully that doesn't sound creepy
laugh.gif
but I see several of these stories pop up from time to time and I'm wondering if these kids are just advanced for their age or what...like, when I was 13 I was a tiny dude. It just wouldn't feel right as a college coach to be recruting kids that age. Beating a dead horse though, I know.

I know it's off topic but, there is some 8th grade kid here in Broward that won player of the year in his class. Went for 1800 yards and 20 TD's

Originally Posted by JPZx

Pics? Hopefully that doesn't sound creepy
laugh.gif
but I see several of these stories pop up from time to time and I'm wondering if these kids are just advanced for their age or what...like, when I was 13 I was a tiny dude. It just wouldn't feel right as a college coach to be recruting kids that age. Beating a dead horse though, I know.
He's probably a man child, like that baseball player who's the next big thing. Bryce Harper or something like that, 15 years old at 6'3, 205 pounds hitting 500 foot homeruns.

Edit: I stand corrected kid is an absolute twig.

what exactly was highlight-esque in the video? Granted he's only 13 but he was making 3 and 5 step drops into 8 step drops...

some kids peak early. some are just starting.. its a big gamble right now.. dude could have a growth spurt and never be the same. finding kids that are somewhat established being a bit older is where its been at for a hundred years for a REASON..

gambling on recruits is a slippery slope

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

works with steve clarkson who believes sills has the potential to be the best qb hes ever coached.
I bet you have already put in for a new screenname too for when he is at USC. :l
Really though this %%!* is rediculous, nobody knows what this kid will be like 6 years from now.  He could be good, but it is way to early to start throwing around crap about being the best qb he has ever coached.  Hell in 6 years USC could be a ##!@%! program, Kiffin might not be there, there are so many variables here that make this one of the stupidest things I have heard.  Hope this stuff doesn't get to this kids head, cause if he does, he is already done.

He has a fast delivery and it seems he throws 30-40yrd bombs with ease. That's great for a 7th grader. Now imagine him in the weight room at 15-18 when he enters HS and seeing him improve then. Plus add another growth spurt and he it's there.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

works with steve clarkson who believes sills has the potential to be the best qb hes ever coached.
I bet you have already put in for a new screenname too for when he is at USC. :l
Really though this %%!* is rediculous, nobody knows what this kid will be like 6 years from now.  He could be good, but it is way to early to start throwing around crap about being the best qb he has ever coached.  Hell in 6 years USC could be a ##!@%! program, Kiffin might not be there, there are so many variables here that make this one of the stupidest things I have heard.  Hope this stuff doesn't get to this kids head, cause if he does, he is already done.

yea i got david sills heisman number 11 waiting for approval.

and who cares its an verbal offer and commit. !+@! aint binding. kiff getting a head start on this kid this happens in bball all the time.

Looks like a phenom but still offering a scholarship that early is insane... injuries, coaching changes... too many different factors

yep, but he doesnt have an "offer" he just said Im committing to Tennessee. there wont be no recruiting.
the Younger Berry Boys are twins and are incredible athletes
smh.gif
too

CLK gonna be facing more sanctions for dealing with elementary school kids
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

^ they are going to walk on if Big bro does the right thing...
What do you mean?
and who cares its an verbal offer and commit. !+@! aint binding.
LMAO, Exactly. People act like the kid really has a committable/written offer to where he was given a LOI to sign so he can enroll in USC upon graduation
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JUS3

CLK gonna be facing more sanctions for dealing with elementary school kids
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nah, but seriously, I doubt this becomes a trend (at least I hope not).  No need to get a 13 year old all gassed.
smh.gif
(not taking any shots at SC, just in general).

And you can't compare basketball prospects to football prospects.  Apples and carrots...

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

^ they are going to walk on if Big bro does the right thing...

you're joking right? 

you think Eli Manning walked on at Ole Miss? 

Dude need to spend an entire summer murkin' IHOP and Old Country Buffet. He out there givin' dudes paper cuts when they tackle him.

Back
Top Bottom