Why Japanese-Americans received reparations and African-Americans are still waiting

n June, the United States House of Representatives held a debate about reparations to African-Americans. One of the questions in this discussion is why Japanese-Americans received reparations for their internment by the U.S. federal government during the Second World War, yet African-Americans have yet to receive reparations for their ancestors’ enslavement or for other crimes committed against them.

I published an article comparing reparations to Japanese-Americans and African-Americans in the journal, Social Forces, in 2004 after a colleague, Rodney Coates, professor of Global and Intercultural Studies at Miami University, asked me this question.

The answer lies in social movement theory.

My explanation is not a moral judgment on whether African-Americans should receive reparations. I believe that they should. My explanation is a scholarly interpretation of the differences between the two movements. These differences explain why it will be more difficult for African-Americans than Japanese-Americans to receive reparations.

interesting read. IMO, all african americans should get reparations. No need to splice and dice and categorize. And while the article says the amount may be too much you can easily disperse it beyond just dollars, do it with dollars, tax credits, land, stocks, etc.

but the government aint built to face and correct its past

I started answering this question as soon as read the title and all of my points were in the bullet points of the article lmao.

The identification part is a good one.

Does anyone of African descent who was born in America get it? Because by virtue of skin color one would have or will experience oppression.

Let's say we make it just descendants Africans in this country. There are some white folk that would have a claim if they have an African ancestor. Will reparations require a 23 and me test??

Do Liberians get reparations although they went back to Africa?

The biggest part though is the amount of African Americans there are and the dollar amount attributed to the effects of slavery and institutional racism.

In my mind, that number has to be an unfathomable amount.

I started answering this question as soon as read the title and all of my points were in the bullet points of the article lmao.

Does anyone of African descent who was born in America? Because by virtue of skin color you would have or will experience oppression.

Let's say we make it just descendants Africans in this country. There are some white folk that would have a claim if they have an African ancestor. Will reparations require a 23 and me test??

The biggest part though is the amount of African Americans there are and the dollar amount attributed to the effects of slavery and institutional racism.

that last statement....

because how much black people have done for this country... an unfathomable amount.

and for this nation to admit it and fix it would mean, turning da entire table over

Does anyone of African descent who was born in America get it? Because by virtue of skin color one would have or will experience oppression.

so are u for
or against
i may be comprehending ur post wrong
but im reading it as
too many variables
so why do it
EASIEST way
they already identify whose black in this country so just give it to THEM
and if u wanna go deeper
hell the government has copies of every single birth and death certificate
going back at LEAST 5 generations
to find out who to give the money too
all these supposed hiccups are easy solutions
we make it more complicated than it needs to be
hell only issue is will the dominicans and puerto ricans
consider themselves black
when checks and land start to be given out

It's not about a straight up dollar amount.

It's simple as any African American (any DIRECT descendants of slaves who lives in America) whose upward mobility has been affected by the effects of slavery and systemic racism. This country has the resources to where they can set something up to where within 20-30 years those effects can start to be undone.

Maybe a fund for starting businesses, or giving out land and stocks. Just because there is no easy solution doesn't mean efforts shouldn't be put towards figuring something out. IMO they should set up a whole division dedicated to finding solutions for this.

If we gon go for reparations it gotta be something systemic that really does its best to undo what ****** have been stuck in for 40-50 years.

yo they was giving white folks that land
from that link that KHUFU KHUFU had posted
they aint have to prove their percentage of whiteness to get that land
whether they came from england or ireland to get that land

It's simple as any African American (any DIRECT descendants of slaves who lives in America) whose upward mobility has been affected by the effects of slavery and systemic racism. This country has the resources to where they can set something up to where within 20-30 years those effects can start to be undone.

Maybe a fund for starting businesses, or giving out land and stocks. Just because there is no easy solution doesn't mean efforts shouldn't be put towards figuring something out. IMO they should set up a whole division dedicated to finding solutions for this.

If we gon go for reparations it gotta be something systemic that really does its best to undo what ****** have been stuck in for 40-50 years.

so are u for
or against
i may be comprehending ur post wrong
but im reading it as
too many variables
so why do it
EASIEST way
they already identify whose black in this country so just give it to THEM
and if u wanna go deeper
hell the government has copies of every single birth and death certificate
going back at LEAST 5 generations
to find out who to give the money too
all these supposed hiccups are easy solutions
we make it more complicated than it needs to be
hell only issue is will the dominicans and puerto ricans
consider themselves black
when checks and land start to be given out
I can understand how my post could sound like that.

So let me make it clear. I AM 100000% FOR REPARATIONS.

I was simply fleshing out my thoughts of what could take place if they were to ever come down the pipeline.

This is not as simple as it may seem. If African Americans were ever to actually get reparations that mirrored the hardships of our ancestors this system will have to be turned on its head. Which it has to be if equity and equality are to ever be truly met.

Because a free 4-year education or a cash sum of 10's of thousands of dollars still wouldn't match 400 years of free labor.

In no way am I saying efforts shouldn't be made. I pray that one day they actually are, the real question is America actually ready to undo its wrongs and willingly hand over some of the keys?

I can understand how my post could sound like that.

So let me make it clear. I AM 100000% FOR REPARATIONS.

I was simply fleshing out my thoughts of what could take place if they were to ever come down the pipeline.

This is not as simple as it may seem. If African Americans were ever to actually get reparations that mirrored the hardships of our ancestors this system will have to be turned on its head. Which it has to be if equity and equality are to ever be truly met.

Because a free 4-year education or a cash sum of 10's of thousands of dollars still wouldn't match 400 years of free labor.

In no way am I saying efforts shouldn't be made. I pray that one day they actually are, the real question is America actually ready to undo its wrongs and willingly hand over some of the keys?
this has me thinking
what do WE want
im thinking land
tax free for a number of generations not just years
what else???
lets get a legitimate list going

this has me thinking
what do WE want
im thinking land
tax free for a number of generations not just years
what else???
lets get a legitimate list going
Land is where the true value lies

Anything else would or could be intentionally and infrastructurally devalued IMO.

Is there any land to give is an important question.

Land is where the true value lies

Anything else would or could be intentionally and infrastructurally devalued IMO.

Is there any land to give is an important question.
hell yeah
dont let cause we live in big crowded cities
fool u into thinking america isnt rich with
valuable land areas that could be given away
theres a gang of land left in america
but i like how ur thinking
but what else u thin would benefit US
if we asked for it
im serious lets get a list going

stop this. No stocks and bonds. No business funds. WE NEED CASH MONEY. Hand over fist. Them having to pay an astronomical figure? That’s not my problem. That’s their problem.

this country kept records if slaves being imported and exported. They kept records of the cotton, sugar cane, tobacco, etc that was exported from the USA across to Europe and whatnot. They kept records of the payments to Great Britain, in order for America to gain full independence.

TRUST ME. They kept records of everything.... look at ancestry.com and people tracing their family lineage. They have full records of all that foot traffic.

America is full of excuses. That’s the gist. At least 200 years of free labor. From the 1650s - 1850s... do the math. Plus interest

stop this. No stocks and bonds. No business funds. WE NEED CASH MONEY. Hand over fist. Them having to pay an astronomical figure? That’s not my problem. That’s their problem.

this country kept records if slaves being imported and exported. They kept records of the cotton, sugar cane, tobacco, etc that was exported from the USA across to Europe and whatnot. They kept records of the payments to Great Britain, in order for America to gain full independence.

TRUST ME. They kept records of everything.... look at ancestry.com and people tracing their family lineage. They have full records of all that foot traffic.

America is full of excuses. That’s the gist. At least 200 years of free labor. From the 1650s - 1850s... do the math. Plus interest
tenor.gif

talk yo **** man

It's sound great to have cash money but that number would be so astronomical it would bury the economy and make it where the cash you have isn't worth what it use to.

I'll just pull a number out of my ***.

Like lets say 10 mil gets dropped off in everyone's account. That 10 mil ain't gon be 10 mil anymore.

Give me the land.

It will appreciate and I could sell it for cash if I wanted too.

It's sound great to have cash money but that number would be so astronomical it would bury the economy and make it where the cash you have isn't worth what it use to.

I'll just pull a number out of my ***.

Like lets say 10 mil gets dropped off in everyone's account. That 10 mil ain't gon be 10 mil anymore.

Give me the land.

It will appreciate and I could sell it for cash if I wanted too.
i agree dont want the money
though
i wouldnt be mad if they gave u the choice
either 40 acres of land
or the equivalent of 40 acres in us dollars
and each person could choose what they wanted out of the 2
give me the 40 acres and im straight

Black American Slavery/Trading/Trafficking/Labor/Bond Market is the basis of the modern global economy. To pay what is owed is to give everything.

Wall street was a slave auction site.

Black people are the money.

Most of these modern day banks and insurance companies got their start financing and insuring the slave trafficking industry. Your BLM hashtag is not enough. Open up your books and your earliest transactions and show us the basis for your current wealth.

What about the natives?
America was a melting pot when the Europeans came and that's part of the reason they were so easily accepted. Plus coming into to contact killed millions of Indians via disease with out a single sword being drawn.

There were plenty of "black" native tribes.

Any dark person was rounded up and declared a negro by law. No matter tribe affiliation or country of origin.
The "negro" was the over encompassing rug that indigenous cultures were swept under.

A negro could've been anyone from an African off a ship, a black native, a black European a black oriental, black islander etc.

There are close 600 tribes I see 6 listed
name 1 black person that got theirs
and the list was an example
u think only 6 tribes got money and/or land
i guess u tryna play devils advocate or something
but like i said
aint not group of black folks
let alone 1 person
got 1 cent

Back
Top Bottom