5 Million People Cut Their Cable Subscription Off

View media item 668012
With all the cheaper alternatives to cable like Netflix, Redbox, free Wifi..the TV business is having its worst year ever.

Audience ratings have collapsed: Aside from a brief respite during the Olympics, there has been only negative ratings growth on broadcast and cable TV since September 2011, according to Citi Research.

Media stock analysts Craig Moffett and Michael Nathanson recently noted, “The pay-TV industry has reported its worst 12-month stretch ever.” All the major TV providers lost a collective 113,000 subscribers in Q3 2013. That doesn’t sound like a huge deal — but it includes internet subscribers, too.

Broadband internet was supposed to benefit from the end of cable TV, but it hasn’t.

In all, about 5 million people ended their cable and broadband subs between the beginning of 2010 and the end of this year.

Time Warner Cable, for instance, lost 306,000 TV subscribers in Q3, and 24,000 broadband web subscribers, too.

And Tom Rutledge, CEO of Charter Communications, told Wall Street analysts he was “surprised” that 1.3 million of his 5.5 million customers don’t want TV — just broadband internet. “Our broadband-only growth has been greater than I thought it would be,” he said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cord-cutters-and-the-death-of-tv-2013-11

So that explains why Comcast and Charter are reportedly going after a joint purchase of Time Warner Cable.

Comcast may be interested in merging with Time Warner Cable. The two sides aren’t in active discussions, http://www.cnbc.com/id/101220981, but Comcast is reportedly seeking advice on potential antitrust concerns and other regulatory obstacles that could pop up if the company decides to pursue a fellow cable provider. CNBC also says that if Time Warner Cable moves forward with a sale, Comcast would be its preferred buyer. According to “people familiar with the matter,” Comcast has been considering merging with TWC for quite some time, but only now is looking for guidance on what hurdles the companies could face if a deal is reached.

But Comcast may have some competition: The Wall Street Journal recently reported that Charter Communications is also preparing to make an offer to buy the company.http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304337404579212470182369600 Regardless of who decides to make a grab for Time Warner Cable, any deal is likely to be met with stiff scrutiny from federal regulators. Comcast is familiar with how that can go, as the company was forced to make concessions to successfully complete its buyout of NBCUniversal.

Reminds me I need to cancel my direct tv service..$80 a month is not worth it

I was cable free for the last 18 or so months, recently got it back for the fast internet speeds. All those pay as you go sub 5/mps speeds where killin me, plus I missed watching the NBA.

Whats good with subscription service TV already?  I can't wait to pick and choose which cable channels I watch.

Espn; Msnbc; Fox; Cartoon Network; History; FXX; Discovery and I'm good. $2 a month over the interwebz.com.

ive been cable free for like 6-7 years
I have Netflix
All the new tv shows i catch the day after or whenever i feel like it through different streaming websites
I rarely go to the movies anymore either unless its a big movie i really want to go see
usually there is a dvd quality link ready to be streamed on the internet within a month
All Sports i watch through streaming websites aswell
but i do have League Pass tho i split the payments with like 5 of my boys

Was just having this conversation yesterday, with NetFlix, Hulu Plus, and the internet there is no need for cable. Sports are all I watch mostly.

I dont understand why these companies are holding on to the current system. Why dont they start going web-based?

The networks themselves probably arent losing money, they probably dont even care because they get paid through Netflix, Roku, Hulu, ect. I couldve swore i heard that Google/YouTube were going to start showing NFL LIVE games. If that starts then RIP to ABC, FOX, and CBS.

Last edited:
Only two series I've actually cared about for the past couple years....

1. Breaking Bad

2. Game of Thrones

Honorable mention: Walking Dead, It's Always Sunny, Seinfeld re-runs

cable and satellite are proprietary forms of the internet. it was new in 80s. Definitely antiquated now.

I still use cable.

I'm not a heavy Netflix, Hulu or Redbox user at all.

When I am home: I usually watch TV for sports, news and CNBC/Bloomberg etc etc

IDK why most people find it okay to watch TV on their laptops. The screen is just too small for me. I'd rather sit on my couch in front of my 65" TV and lounge. Also, when I want to watch a movie--the surround sound adds a nice touch. IDK how I replicate that using my computer.

And I know there are ways to hook up a laptop to a TV, but something about sitting on my couch using a remote feels "right".

Maybe I'm "old school" and will have to eventually get with the times.

Last edited:
Good I hope they lose more people so they can change the way things are now.

I have Fios now and it is much better than Time Warner was I'll tell you that.

I have Netflix But rarely watch TV and if I do 90% of the time it's sports related, news related or MTV jams related with the occasional Boomerang

:smh: @ where the internet prices at going to start trending...

I compare this to the cellular industry...

At first, they were charging out the wazoo for minutes and messages...

When they started TK realize people weren't too fond of it, they switched over to outrageous data charges and caps...

I can see a time where home internet will be $80-$110...

With cable being a free add on or like... $10...

:smh:

Yeah I rarely watch, mostly use my roku. Cox has an ill deal though called flex watch, a small group of channels plus hbo/starz for around 20 bucks plus another 40 for internet so that gives me access for hbo go and epix online in addition to the netflix and hulu plus I already have. Neat and it has quite a few channels. No espn though, can't have that. I'm gonna call to see how much to add whatever package has espn.

Package has nba tv, nfl network and I think fox sports so I may not even need to.

Last edited:

When they started TK realize people weren't too fond of it, they switched over to outrageous data charges and caps...

i agree with you

This is going to eventually happen as the years go by. Eventually, they will one day put a cap on how much data you can use in your home internet.

I still use cable.

I'm not a heavy Netflix, Hulu or Redbox user at all.

When I am home: I usually watch TV for sports, news and CNBC/Bloomberg etc etc

IDK why most people find it okay to watch TV on their laptops. The screen is just too small for me. I'd rather sit on my couch in front of my 65" TV and lounge. Also, when I want to watch a movie--the surround sound adds a nice touch. IDK how I replicate that using my computer.

And I know there are ways to hook up a laptop to a TV, but something about sitting on my couch using a remote feels "right".

Maybe I'm "old school" and will have to eventually get with the times.
couldnt agree more. maybe its because im getting older or im just not tech savvy, but i could care less about all the new ways to watch tv or stream this and that. and ive never watched anything on my phone/laptop/tablet that was more than 5 minutes. it just doesnt do it for me 

I just want a way to watch only nba and nfl...other than that I could care less for tv

Good. Sick it to those crooks. They shouldve added a la carte packages long ago. The average person watches 10 percent of their channels.

sorry bruh, i need live tv

i cant sit and watch random stuff on these programs even tho i watch old reruns on live tv

Back
Top Bottom