2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
OKC wins tonight, KD with 40 and Russ with 30/10/10.

Why do yall hate me.  :lol:

And bro....it wasn't a typo.  Trying to type Thunder and typing Tuhnder is a typo.  Saying the Thunder and the Spurs are playing in the Eastern Conference Finals is not a typo.  Its a dumb mistake.

I mean....the "e" is next to the "w" on the keyboard :lol:

Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeee

xU8QZsW.gif

View media item 958658

please dear lord baby jesus let this be OKC's coach next year

View media item 934159

So I'm assuming you must want OKC to lose huh? ...

Last edited:
Did miami losing yesterday break the old thread? :lol:

I hope this series is competitive but it doesn't look like it will be.

no spoilers since the article is short.

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Report: Mark Cuban hired former FBI agent to investigate league, referees after 2006 Finals[/h1]
Kurt Helin

May 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT

17  Comments

mark-cuban-ref.jpg
AP
In the annals of NBA referee conspiracy theories, the 2006 NBA Finals are up there with the Tim Donaghy betting scandal and a handful of others offered as “proof” by the tinfoil hat crowd that the fix is in and it comes all the way from the top.

In that series an aggressive and attacking Dwyane Wade  got a lot of calls as he drove the lane on Dallas, while jump shooterDirk Nowitzki  and the other Mavs didn’t get the calls. Wade was at the line an average 18.3 times per game over the final for games of that series and seemed to get the benefit of the doubt because he was the aggressor.

Mark Cuban was so livid he hired a former FBI Agent to look into if things were fixed.

That according to John Canzano of the Oregonian who did a five-part series  on officiating in the NBA.During the 2006 NBA Finals, Cuban was frustrated after a Game 5 loss to the Heat, and went on the floor to vent to official Joe DeRosa, glaring, too, at Stern in the stands. Earlier that same playoffs Cuban also criticized how the officials are selected for the playoffs. He was fined $450,000 for those two incidents….
Retired FBI agent Warren Flagg, a 20-year veteran of the bureau, said he consulted with Cuban after that playoff debacle. Flagg now runs his own New York-based investigation and security firm. He looked deep into officiating, as Flagg said, Cuban was considering a lawsuit.

“Cuban asked me what he should do,” Flagg said of the 2006 Finals. “I told him, ‘Sue and you’ll win your case,’ but he knew he’d be killing the Golden Goose.”

When asked about his discussions with Flagg, Cuban said: “I don’t remember.”
What did you expect the guy with the investigation business to say, “I couldn’t find anything?” That’s not how he gets paid.

Officiating in the NBA is far from perfect, something these playoffs have clearly shown. Canzano’s series does a great job in looking at both that and the perception problems it creates for the league. Adam Silver is trying to be more transparent with officiating corrections, but there needs to be more public accountability. There is a fantastic part of the series that talks about the power struggles within officiating crews and how that can skew calls. There’s more.

All of that leads to some to make the next leap to conspiracy theory. But just as is the main flaw with almost any conspiracy — the illuminati, the CIA killed Kennedy, Area 51, etc — it counts on large groups with sometimes competing interests plus often inefficient organizations to maintain perfect secrecy and focus on the end game. The league with its owners and all those referees couldn’t do that if they wanted do.

A bad call is just a bad call. If you don’t want to be subject to the whims of calls late, win the game by 20. Otherwise this is just part of the contest.

Last edited:
Why do yall hate me. 
laugh.gif

And bro....it wasn't a typo.  Trying to type Thunder and typing Tuhnder is a typo.  Saying the Thunder and the Spurs are playing in the Eastern Conference Finals is not a typo.  Its a dumb mistake.
I mean....the "e" is next to the "w" on the keyboard
laugh.gif
Thunder will get this W tonight
Thunder will get this E tonight

@YeezusDisciple
roll.gif

laugh.gif

no spoilers since the article is short.

[h1] [/h1]

[h1]
Report: Mark Cuban hired former FBI agent to investigate league, referees after 2006 Finals
[/h1]

[FLOAT=LEFT]

Kurt Helin

May 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT

[/FLOAT]

Comments

mark-cuban-ref.jpg
AP

In the annals of NBA referee conspiracy theories, the 2006 NBA Finals are up there with the Tim Donaghy betting scandal and a handful of others offered as “proof” by the tinfoil hat crowd that the fix is in and it comes all the way from the top.

In that series an aggressive and attacking Dwyane Wade
 got a lot of calls as he drove the lane on Dallas, while jump shooterDirk Nowitzki
 and the other Mavs didn’t get the calls. Wade was at the line an average 18.3 times per game over the final for games of that series and seemed to get the benefit of the doubt because he was the aggressor.

Mark Cuban was so livid he hired a former FBI Agent to look into if things were fixed.

That according to John Canzano of the Oregonian who did a five-part series
 on officiating in the NBA.During the 2006 NBA Finals, Cuban was frustrated after a Game 5 loss to the Heat, and went on the floor to vent to official Joe DeRosa, glaring, too, at Stern in the stands. Earlier that same playoffs Cuban also criticized how the officials are selected for the playoffs. He was fined $450,000 for those two incidents….

Retired FBI agent Warren Flagg, a 20-year veteran of the bureau, said he consulted with Cuban after that playoff debacle. Flagg now runs his own New York-based investigation and security firm. He looked deep into officiating, as Flagg said, Cuban was considering a lawsuit.

“Cuban asked me what he should do,” Flagg said of the 2006 Finals. “I told him, ‘Sue and you’ll win your case,’ but he knew he’d be killing the Golden Goose.”

When asked about his discussions with Flagg, Cuban said: “I don’t remember.”

What did you expect the guy with the investigation business to say, “I couldn’t find anything?” That’s not how he gets paid.

Officiating in the NBA is far from perfect, something these playoffs have clearly shown. Canzano’s series does a great job in looking at both that and the perception problems it creates for the league. Adam Silver is trying to be more transparent with officiating corrections, but there needs to be more public accountability. There is a fantastic part of the series that talks about the power struggles within officiating crews and how that can skew calls. There’s more.

All of that leads to some to make the next leap to conspiracy theory. But just as is the main flaw with almost any conspiracy — the illuminati, the CIA killed Kennedy, Area 51, etc — it counts on large groups with sometimes competing interests plus often inefficient organizations to maintain perfect secrecy and focus on the end game. The league with its owners and all those referees couldn’t do that if they wanted do.

A bad call is just a bad call. If you don’t want to be subject to the whims of calls late, win the game by 20. Otherwise this is just part of the contest.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

These anti ref people are pathetic. :lol:

Why do yall hate me. 
laugh.gif

I mean....the "e" is next to the "w" on the keyboard
laugh.gif
Thunder will get this W tonight
Thunder will get this E tonight

@YeezusDisciple
roll.gif

laugh.gif
I couldn't ever imagine playing basketball when I'm rolling 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

These anti ref people are pathetic.
laugh.gif
agreed. 

like let it go, it happened 
laugh.gif

^ god damn phil is huge

The Spurs aren't totally buying that Serge Ibaka won't come back to the Thunder soon

View media item 979302
When the Oklahoma City Thunder announced Friday that Serge Ibaka was expected to miss the rest of the postseason with a Grade 1 strain of his left calf, many of us instantly began focusing on what Thunder head coach Scott Brooks might do to make up for the loss of his starting power forward in Oklahoma City's impending Western Conference finals matchup with the San Antonio Spurs, which begins Monday night with Game 1 in Texas. Several Spurs, however, focused on something else — the words "expected to."

The Spurs aren't calling the Thunder liars or bluffers, per se — they're just not totally buying that the 24-year-old shot-blocker and interior defensive menace won't make a return at some point before all's said and done. Like, for example, Monday night. From Dan McCarney of the San Antonio Express-News:

“I don’t really believe it,” said point guard Tony Parker, who has been cleared to play in the opener after straining his left hamstring in the second round. “I’ll believe when I see tomorrow he is not on the court. It’s hard to believe. We’ll see tomorrow.”

Said Kawhi Leonard, “We’re still not sure if he’s going to play or not, but it doesn’t matter. The Thunder are still a very good team.” [...]

The Spurs have no doubt considered every possible contingency in how the Thunder might adjust without him — including, it seems, the extreme unlikelihood that he might actually play. (Again, appropriate fear.) Not that Popovich would ever admit to such planning to the media.

“It’s really a waste of time,” Popovich said. “When the game starts, everybody will know what’s going on and everybody will adjust both ways.”

Given the success that Oklahoma City has had against San Antonio over the past three seasons (an 11-6 mark, including wins in the final four games of their 2012 Western Conference finals matchup and a four-game regular-season sweep this year) and Thunder general manager Sam Presti's statement leaving the door to an Ibaka return ever so slightly ajar, you can understand why the three-time Coach of the Year would emphasize being ready for whichever lineups San Antonio might face. What scares him most is his team getting complacent or comfortable, which is why he's drilling that "appropriate fear" into his players' heads before the series kicks off on Monday. From Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports:

"We know them very well," Parker said. "I think ball movement, execution [must improve]. We need to execute a lot better, because against them you can't go half-speed. You have to go full speed, and we have to be perfect because they are younger than us and they're more athletic than us. So everything has to be more perfect." [...]

"We know the head of the snake is [Kevin] Durant and [Russell] Westbrook ... so we can keep the focus a little bit more [on them], worry a little less about [what] Ibaka will do," Spurs forward Boris Diaw said. "But they still have a very, very good team."

Added Parker, "[Rookie center] Steve Adams has been stepping up, [veteran forward] Nick Collison is a great player. They can go small. They're going to do different stuff, so we're going to have to adapt. ... We're going to try to contain everything. Like you say, Westbrook and Durant are going to score points. They're great players, and Durant is the MVP, so you're not going to stop them."

San Antonio figures to rely on rising star small forward Kawhi Leonard to, if not stop, then at least make life more difficult for Thunder leader and reigning Most Valuable Player Kevin Durant. It also wouldn't be totally shocking if Popovich also gave Tiago Splitter — fresh off strong defensive work on high-scoring, jump-shooting big men Dirk Nowitzki and LaMarcus Aldridge in the first two rounds of the playoffs — the assignment for short stretches, if only to change up the looks the Spurs give Durant to prevent him from getting comfortable.

Slowing down Westbrook — who is on pace to become just the third player in NBA history to average at least 26 points, eight rebounds and eight assists per game during a single postseason, joining Hall of Famers Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy — was going to be a problem for the San Antonio backcourt even with Parker entering the series with a dinged-up wheel. And even if Ibaka is indeed out of the mix, the Spurs will have to reckon with a deep, talented Thunder roster built by one of their own, former San Antonio assistant general manager and "resident genius" Presti. As Popovich is so fond of telling his team during timeouts, it's not going to be easy; it never is at this level.

Still, not only is Presti calling it "unlikely that [Ibaka] would return if we were fortunate to make it past this next series," but the power forward didn't travel to San Antonio for Game 1, still needing a medical scooter to travel and staying behind in Oklahoma to continue to receive treatment. It seems like the fear of an Ibaka return — while part of the overall "appropriate fear" Pop emphasizes — isn't warranted ... at least, not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom